Double-digit shutout against the Skyhawks brings Northeastern another home win

Photo credit Jim Pierce

Yet another homer from graduate student Tyler MacGregor earn congratulations from the team. His out-of-the-park hit in Wednesday’s game marked his third home run in two days.

Sarah Popeck, news staff

After a home loss against Harvard University in the Baseball Beanpot, Northeastern (23-5, 6-3 CAA) brought back momentum for a 10-0 win against Stonehill College (3-20, 1-8 NEC) at Friedman Diamond.

“We don’t like losing at home, especially Beanpot, but the guys came out today,” NEU head coach Mike Glavine said.

Northeastern started up-and-coming Aiven Cabral on the mound —  the freshman right-hander has proven his skills game after game. He retired after a scoreless inning but is expected to start in the upcoming weekend series against University of Delaware.

For the Stonehill Skyhawks, left-handed senior Jonathan Rice was up to pitch first, but he was quickly challenged. Northeastern freshman outfielder Cam Maldonado hit a triple at the bottom of the first that allowed Tyler MacGregor, NU graduate student and designated hitter, to score.

After Cabral gave a preview for the weekend, next to the mound was left-handed junior Will Jones, who started strong with a 1-2-3 inning. He threw 53 pitches and only allowed one walk and no hits over his three innings.

In the bottom of the second, Rice allowed two walks, and sophomore center fielder Mike Sirota was able to steal second base — a classic sight seen from Sirota in every game.

When Northeastern came to bat in the third, MacGregor and Maldonado singled. Although both made attempts to steal the next base, only Maldonado was successful. MacGregor earned an out for the inning, getting tagged before reaching second base safely.

In three innings, Rice threw a whopping 69 pitches but made it out of the inning without letting the Huskies score again, even after allowing two walks.

The fourth inning brought Jones his seventh strikeout of the game. Toward the latter half, he struggled to find his footing, and with two runners on base, he needed to be careful. Stonehill’s Mike Swanholm, senior third-baseman, was able to smack the ball into the outfield, which landed right in Sirota’s glove, protecting Jones from a dangerous situation.

“We get to use more guys in midweek games. I think that was really the big story today,” Glavine said. “Will Jones is awesome and threw a lot of strikeouts.

Stonehill brought Christian Loescher, a sophomore pitcher, to the mound in the bottom of the fourth and the Huskies pounced immediately. Freshman second-baseman Sean McGee started with a single and a stolen base. After another hit to right field and a single from the Huskies, MacGregor stepped up to bat.

For his third home run in two days, MacGregor hit another ball out of the park, clearing the bases and putting Northeastern up 4-0.

Stonehill’s pitching staff allowed walk after walk, which the Huskies capitalized on.

After a studded fourth inning, Northeastern rotated right-handed sophomore Hayden Smith into its pitching lineup. Just like Jones, his first frame was a 1-2-3.

At the bottom, redshirt senior third baseman Danny Crossen was credited with an RBI that allowed McGee to score and added another tally to the score of 5-0.

The game was a star for Northeastern batters, as seen in the sixth inning. The Skyhawks tried to minimize the damage by putting redshirt sophomore Logan Lawrence on the mound, though it would soon prove ineffective — the Huskies continued to prove their dominance, grabbing first base on a player hit by a pitch and nabbing two walks and three stolen bases. 

Three Huskies were able to score during the inning thanks to RBIs from Sirota, freshman catcher Matt Brinker and redshirt senior infielder Spenser Smith. With two players left on base, Crossen stepped up to the plate but grounded out and ended the inning at 8-0.

In the seventh inning, the Huskies took an opportunity to rotate some new faces into the lineup, including outfielder sophomore Luke Masiuk, but no one was able to score.

Stonehill had one last opportunity at the bottom of the eighth when junior Jordan Marot took to the mound in an attempt to stop Northeastern’s runaway lead. But what happened next was the opposite — Marot’s arm was disoriented, hitting two batters and walking two Huskies, summing their score to double digits for a final 10-0.

For the last two innings, right-handed freshman Ryan Griffin and left-handed redshirt junior James Quinlivan each had a turn to pitch for the Huskies. Their pitching closed the game without a single Stonehill run. 

The Huskies will return to Friedman Diamond Friday for another game on their turf.

“It’s going to be a tough weekend since we’ve been playing a lot of baseball for three straight weeks,” Glavine said. “There’s a lot going on right now, but hopefully, we can get fired up for a really big conference weekend.”

The first pitch will be thrown at 2:05 p.m. to start off the weekend series against Delaware (14-14, 5-4 CAA).