Column: 6 of the best fall-themed TV shows to prepare for spooky season

Kristina DaPonte

As the weather gets colder and the leaves turn golden, it’s clear that fall is here. The time for pumpkin-flavored baked goods and cozy knit cardigans is now, and with Halloween fast approaching, spooky content is just around the corner. To aid in the changing of the seasons, this is a list of the best TV series to binge in order to set the fall mood. 

“Gilmore Girls”

Stars Hollow, the small town where “Gilmore Girls” is set, seems to be stuck in an eternal autumn. As Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Rory (Alexis Bledel) — the “girls” in question —  stroll the sleepy streets with coffees in hand, colorful leaves fall no matter the time of year. The show has a very comforting fall vibe and is sure to invite curling up by the fire with a cup of hot chocolate. 

“Gilmore Girls” follows the close mother-daughter relationship of Lorelai and Rory as they navigate life in their small town. Filled with fast quips and heartwarming moments, the show has seven seasons and is available to stream on Netflix, so there’s plenty of content to ring in the season. Whether it’s a rewatch or a brand-new binge, it’s absolutely worth viewing this autumn. 

“Over the Garden Wall”

This animated classic is a slightly spookier take on fall but still brings the wholesomeness. Brothers Wirt (Elijah Wood) and Greg (Collin Dean) get lost in a strange supernatural forest called the Unknown and are forced to go on an adventure to find their way home. On the way, they cross paths with many creepy characters such as witches, skeletons, woodsmen and scary beasts. The brothers stumble through stunningly animated pumpkin patches and cemeteries as they journey through the woods. The show is set around Halloween and definitely delivers on the spooky fall vibes. 

From the beautiful autumnal backgrounds to the short and creepy plots of each chapter, this show is as fall-themed as it gets — even the sweeping string music and decorative title cards are an undeniable ode to the season. “Over the Garden Wall” is one season and only has ten 12-minute episodes, so it’s perfect for a quick binge. It’s available to stream on Hulu and is an absolute must-watch for those wanting to get in the fall mood.

“Chilling Adventures of Sabrina”

“Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” is on the creepier end of fall-themed content. The show is a new take on the 90s classic “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” that delves into the darker side of the beloved character, Sabrina Spellman (Kiernan Shipka). This coming-of-age story takes a turn towards the occult, featuring devil worship and witches. Sabrina has to fight both inner and outer demons as she tries to reconcile her half-witch, half-mortal life. 

Greendale, the town where Sabrina lives, is full of apple orchards, cemeteries and fall foliage. The costumes and dark color scheme of the show make it seem as though autumn is never-ending. It is available for streaming on Netflix and has four seasons of “chilling” content. The first episode takes place on Halloween and the show features a black cat named Salem. What could be more autumnal?

“Only Murders in the Building” 

This murder-mystery comedy series is a great way to start off the season. It’s hilarious, mysterious and irresistibly binge-worthy. “Only Murders in the Building” follows an unlikely trio of neighbors as they attempt to solve a murder committed in their apartment building while simultaneously recording a true crime podcast. Inspired by the podcast “Serial,” the murder-mystery plot and endearing characters are bound to set the mood for fall. 

The show is set in New York and fall fashion is prevalent in the show, most notably in the character Mabel’s (Selena Gomez) large fluffy coats. The color palette is very reminiscent of fall and is guaranteed to transport viewers into the chilly New York scene. There are three seasons currently available for streaming on Hulu and the show was just renewed for a fourth, so there’s plenty of content for future falls. 

“Stranger Things” 

The first two seasons of “Stranger Things” take place right around Halloween and the horror elements of the show undoubtedly scream fall. Set in the 80s, fall nostalgia runs rampant in this science-fiction thriller about a group of kids who witness supernatural events and government cover-ups as they search for their lost friend, unravel mysteries and protect their town. 

The show is full of jumpscares and dark mystery elements that are perfect for the Halloween season. The setting also gives off spooky fall vibes, with the characters often running through the woods at night, crushing fallen leaves underfoot. “Stranger Things” has four seasons available to stream on Netflix with the fifth and final season set to be released in late 2025 or 2026.

“I Am Not Okay With This”

This show follows a girl named Sydney (Sophia Lillis) as she struggles with her newfound supernatural powers, family life and sexuality. It brings the high school angst and, with it, the fall aesthetic. High school show staples, such as football games and basement parties, are mixed with horror and suspense elements to create a perfect teenage fall time capsule. Very reminiscent of Stephen King’s “Carrie,” the opening sequence shows Sydney walking down an empty street at night in a white dress, covered in blood, leaving the rest of the show to explain how she got there. Unfortunately, Netflix canceled the show after one season, much to fans’ chagrin, but “I Am Not Okay With This” is available to stream on Netflix.

Kristina DaPonte
Kristina DaPonte, Lifestyle Editor
Kristina DaPonte is a third-year journalism major with a minor in communication studies. She is the deputy lifestyle editor for The News as well as a contributor to Spectrum Literary Arts Magazine. She's excited to bring exciting, engaging stories to the table. Follow her @dapontekristina on Twitter for updates.