Column: All wrapped up! The 4 best burrito spots on and around campus

Jessica Xing
A burrito from El Jefe’s Taqueria. El Jefe’s came out on top in the News’ burrito rankings.

A warm burrito is often just what the doctor ordered. With a variety of meaty options to choose from, such as flavorful pulled pork or mouthwatering steak, the quintessential burrito is a staple for hungry college students. At Northeastern, a burrito is more than just a dinner option — it toes the line between culinary greatness and necessary college convenience at 2 a.m. A perfect burrito is one with a soft shell, sleek cuts of savory meat, shredded cheese that perfectly melts and a smooth finish of avocado that nestles right between the thick clump of chosen ingredients. 

A burrito is the definition of comfort food. However, finding that perfect meal worthy of repeat dining is difficult. To ease the process of deciding where the next drunken gallivant to a taqueria shall be, here is a list of the best burrito places on and around Northeastern’s campus. 

Mamacita — Ambience: 9/10, Burrito Taste: 6/10, Accessibility: 6/10

Mamacita is located further up Huntington Avenue. It boasted the most inspired ambience of the four taquerias. (Darin Zullo)

For most, stepping into Mamacita is always a pleasant surprise. Located right on Huntington Avenue just opposite of Krentzman Quad, Mamacita’s interior is a burst of color, lively music and gothic, provocative decorations. Adorned with sultry pick-up lines on the windows and mirrors, it is a prime spot for a date or a late evening with bubbly fellow diners. 

When it comes to the burrito itself, Mamacita lacks in quality taste. The tortilla is too soft, with an overload of cheese seeping into the once-solid shell. The servers provide you with an option to throw a coating of cheese on the tortilla before adding any other toppings, which unfortunately can overpower any of the other intricate flavors. On its own, the meat, pico de gallo and fajita peppers are delicious. The tortilla, however, falls on the runny side and does not stay firmly solid as time goes on, a dealbreaker for particularly slow eaters and those hoping to enjoy the burrito’s leftovers. 

Qdoba — Ambience: 4/10, Burrito Taste: 5/10, Accessibility: 7/10

Qdoba is the closest burrito spot to Northeastern’s campus. The taqueria was closed earlier this year due to construction in White Hall. (Darin Zullo)

This taqueria is located right below White Hall at Northeastern, just a few feet away from Marino Recreation Center and Wollaston’s Market. Due to its proximity to campus, numerous Huskies (as well as visiting parents) frequent the restaurant. It is a perfect spot to hit after a grueling workout in Marino, especially when the extra walk to El Jefe’s is too much. 

Qdoba has the potential to establish itself as a front-runner in fast food, however, they do not quite hit the mark. Perhaps it is the lack of homeliness or popularity, but this is not a restaurant that most college students think of when craving a burrito. Nevertheless, the burrito itself is tasteful and the free guac is an added bonus. Qdoba’s burritos are soft yet dry, having a less-than-preferred amount of sauce and a crunchy and chewy finish from the meat. 

While Qdoba is currently closed due to White Hall construction, it is expected to eventually reopen.

El Jefe’s Taqueria — Ambience: 7/10, Burrito Taste: 8/10, Accessibility: 10/10

El Jefe’s on Huntington Avenue. The taqueria received the highest rating across the board. (Darin Zullo)

El Jefe’s is the burrito spot. It is the king of campus food and college students stumble their way into the sacred restaurant at odd hours of the day and night. The taqueria has been visited by sober and covertly inebriated college students alike, providing them with food, company and authentic Mexican vibes.  

There’s always catchy Latin music playing on the overhead speakers, only barely heard over the laughter and chatter of college kids. The restaurant is not designed for a long stay, with just a small amount of narrow tables and a line that goes out the door on busy days. 

The wait to get the burrito is well worth it, though. 

The food tastes authentic and is rich in all kinds of flavors. They offer many smoky meat options, equipped with fresh vegetables and a cheesy filling that’s all wrapped tightly in a warm tortilla fresh out of the oven. El Jefe’s has options galore, ranging from mild sauces to spicy, and three varieties of soft, tender beans. The Mexican rice is cooked perfectly, with bits of spice coating every grain, making it a favorite for many orders. 

The taqueria is also a convenient spot to get to. Located on Huntington Avenue near the Symphony MBTA stop, it is transit-accessible and is a quick walk from campus. It is also open till 3 a.m., which makes it a hot spot for the hungry partygoers returning from Friday night ragers. Ultimately, El Jefe’s is a reliable friend to turn to, and is a very beloved spot for the students of Northeastern. 

Chilacates — Ambience: 3/10, Burrito Taste: 9/10, Accessibility: 5/10

Chilacates is more popular among students living in Mission Hill. Though lacking in ambience and accessibility, Chilacates received the highest marks for taste. (Darin Zullo)

Chilacates is an underrated favorite of many upperclassmen. Located on Tremont Street in Mission Hill, the restaurant is scarcely heard of by first-years at Northeastern. Because it is so far away from campus, not many first or second-years make the trip up there. However, for those who do make the walk up Tremont Street, Chilacates is a very fond choice. 

Sometimes referred to as the “El Jefe’s of the Hill,” Chilacates is a strong contender for the top burrito spot on and around campus. The restaurant is less of a sit-down place — more people frequent it for takeout instead. They are famous for their birria tacos and burrito bowls, while the original burritos taste just as good. 

Their burritos are packed with flavor and come with an authentic Mexican taste that is rare in Boston. Their ingredients taste fresh and well-seasoned, with thought and care put into every dish. Although it comes at an added cost, the guacamole that accompanies a Chilacates burrito is undoubtedly some of the best and is definitely worth a try. 

For further burrito pursuits, additional recommendations include Chipotle, Los Amigos Taqueria, and Amelia’s Taqueria. Happy burrito hunting! 

Rachana Madhav
Rachana Madhav, Opinion Editor
Rachana Madhav is a third-year behavioral neuroscience major with an English minor. She is currently working as deputy opinion editor of The News. She is excited to provide a platform for those with ideas and opinions and very eager to read anyone's work. You can follow her on Instagram at @anna_rac7.
Jessica Xing
Jessica Xing, Photo Editor
Jessica Xing is a third-year graphic design major with a minor in journalism. She has previously served as deputy photo editor and design editor and is excited to continue working with photographers for The News this semester.
Darin Zullo
Darin Zullo, Deputy Lifestyle Editor
Darin Zullo is a second-year journalism and English combined major with a minor in photojournalism. This is his second semester as a deputy photo editor for The News. He has also written for the Global Observer and the Scope and is looking forward to continue working with The News this semester.