13th annual Taste of Chocolate Festival sweetens Harvard Square visitors’ weekends

Jessica Xing
A Blackbird Doughnuts employee hands out samples of triple chocolate donut holes. Many visitors were too excited to wait and began trying their treats while they went down the row of businesses.

Hundreds of visitors lined up on Brattle Street Saturday afternoon for the first day of the 13th annual Taste of Chocolate Festival.

Hosted by the Harvard Square Business Association, the festival made a successful comeback after a three-year hiatus. Featuring local cafes and shops, visitors were able to indulge in free chocolate samples, enjoy live entertainment and partake in special promotions at nearby businesses.

The highlight of the festival was the free chocolate tasting event at 1 p.m. that had visitors eagerly lined up an hour beforehand. One by one, chocolate-lovers picked up samples from participating businesses that ranged from toffee bites to hot chocolate and mini smores. Despite a seemingly endless line, businesses tabling were able to continuously hand out free samples for over two hours.

Along with mouth-watering chocolate delicacies, visitors also enjoyed live entertainment from Grooversity, a Brazilian drumming group. With its high energy drumming, wide smiles and synchronized dancing, the group easily got the crowd moving and jumping to the beat.

Around 2:30 p.m., the entertainment switched over to DJ Joey Finnz, who played a mix of pop songs, throwbacks and nu-disco music. As the sun came out, more people began to gather around and dance to Finnz’s set, contributing to the increasingly energetic atmosphere.

While adults sipped on hot chocolate-infused cocktails and wines provided by the Commonwealth Wine School, those underage were able to play ping-pong and cornhole.

Harvard Square businesses also embraced the festival with various chocolate specials and discounts for those looking for extra treats after the free tasting.

Through a shared love of chocolate, businesses and attendees alike were able to forge new connections.

Jessica Xing
Jessica Xing, Photo Editor
Jessica Xing is a third-year graphic design major with a minor in journalism. She has previously served as deputy photo editor and design editor and is excited to continue working with photographers for The News this semester.