Spectacular acts unveiled: Ringling Bros. circus returns to Boston

The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey returned to Boston for a limited time at Agganis Arena from March 28 to April 7. Known as “The Greatest Show On Earth,” the Ringling Bros. circus dates back almost 150 years and has been performing in the New England area since 1895. Originally, the Barnum & Bailey’s Circus and the Ringling Bros. were run separately until they merged into one show in 1929.

After a six-year hiatus after temporarily shutting down six years ago they came back better than ever with a revamped show. The circus has entertained people in over 80 countries and continues to tour the United States. After April 7, the company took the show on the road to the DCU Center in Worcester. 

In preparation for a week of performances, the Ringling Bros. hosted a media sneak peek March 29, highlighting four of their main acts. 

The first act, “Teeterboards,” featured the Troupe Brothers, a troupe of high-flying acrobats known for their seesaw flips and three-person jump rope acts. Eight members of the Troupe Brothers showcased their strength and flexibility.

The Troupe Brothers perform their triple-decker jump rope act. During the act, three people stood on top of each other’s shoulders and collectively jumped rope. (Brian Daniels)
The Troupe Brothers pose with outstretched arms. After ending their act, they left to prepare for the show later that night. (Brian Daniels)

The second act highlighted was the duo “Dust in the Wind.” They performed their head-to-head balancing act but began by showing off their flexibility, doing splits and hoisting each other into the air. The duo started by using their hands to keep each other in place but slowly moved to no-hands tricks.

Maite Ramirez from “Dust in the Wind” shows her flexibility by doing a split. This was followed by the duo’s signature move where Julio Fajardo balanced Ramirez on top of his head. (Brian Daniels)
Fajardo balances Ramirez as part of the head-to-head act. He then sat on the ground while still balancing her on top of his head. (Brian Daniels)

The next act was a performance by Argendance, a folk dance troupe from Argentina. The group was a semifinalist on the fourth season of “Spain’s Got Talent” and used cords with weighted stones while dancing to entertain the audience. One performer banged a drum and tapped his feet while the other spun cords and showed a mix of dance and acrobatic movements.

An Argendance group member throws cords with weighted stones while doing a split. She did all of this while following the beat of her drumming co-performer. (Brian Daniels)
Two members of Argendance pose for a photo. After finishing their performance, they were excited to show off their act for the show later that night. (Brian Daniels)

The last act was the Gemini Twins, Yulia Mosienko and Olha Mosienko, from Ukraine. They performed a mirror act in which the two moved around and through a hanging ring in sync, with each performer mirroring what the other was doing.

Yulia Mosienko and Olha Mosienko dance around a hanging ring. The ring rose 30 feet as they continued to dance and weave in and out of it. (Brian Daniels)
Yulia Mosienko and Olha Mosienko perform splits while balancing on the ring 30 feet in the air. They were raised much higher in the actual show later that night. (Brian Daniels)