Field hockey remains unbeaten in conference

By Jason Richland

If anyone in the America East can stop the Huskies, they should step up soon before it is too late.

The Northeastern field hockey team continued its domination over the America East with a 7-0 victory over the State University of New York at Albany at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y. and slapped around Harvard University, 3-0, in Cambridge on Wednesday.

On Saturday the Great Danes managed to keep the Huskies scoreless through the first 22 minutes, but at 23:09 sophomore Whitney Shean slipped the ball past Albany’s Barbara Czaplinski for the first Husky goal.

“It came across off a defender’s stick, I got a touch on it and it hit in the far corner,” Shean said. “I don’t think the goalie even saw me coming.”

Shean helped out on the second goal by passing the ball to fellow sophomore Sarah Eckhoff, who drilled her first goal of the season at 27:13 in the first half.

“It was a decoy play and the pass came through and I hit it and it went in,” Eckhoff said. “I don’t get a lot of scoring opportunities.”

In the second half the Huskies showed why they are a top-ranked team by dominating the Danes offensively and defensively, outshooting them 12-1 in the second frame.

“I think I played well but I don’t think it is an individual game,” Shean said. “We need to have a team effort.” Less than five minutes into the second half, Shean buried another unassisted goal to put the Huskies on top 3-0.

“It’s definitely the first five minutes that predicts the rest of the game,” Shean said. “If our play is on for the first five minutes we will most likely win our game.”

Senior Liane Dixon scored a goal in between a pair of goals by junior Jay Quinn, including a penalty shot at 43:15. Senior Mari Creatini scored on a penalty corner as time ran out for the seventh goal.

On Thursday, in Cambridge, the Huskies faced Harvard and played a scoreless game through the first half, but a minute into the second half Creatini netted her fourteenth goal of the season.

“I would say Harvard was by far our best performance of the year,” Eckhoff said. “The team play was incredible.”

Senior Alli Bolster put up another goal to widen the gap to 2-0 at 40:55.

“We jumped on them early,” Shean said. “We got our wits about us right away.”

Liane Dixon scored an unassisted goal at 54:32.

Senior goalie Diana Nelson recorded two shutouts on the week and made a total of seven saves in the two games. Northeastern looks to extend its four-game winning streak against the University of Connecticut in Storrs at 7 p.m. on Wednesday and will host America East foe University of Vermont on Friday and the University of Maryland-Baltimore County on Sunday. Both games are at 2 p.m.