Volleyball: A battle of the Huskies

News Staff File Photo/Nathan Vaughan

By:  Nathan Vaughan, News Staff

After a rocky start to the season on the road, the volleyball team came home Tuesday with a home tilt against the University of Connecticut (UConn).

Before returning to Solomon Court, Northeastern played 10 games on the road , posting a 7-3 record.

Northeastern has struggled out of the gates in matches this season, only winning its first set three times. In sets one and two of the first five matches, they had a record of 2-8.

The season started with the Beanpot Classic, which was held at Holy Cross for the second year in a row. The Huskies split day one with a 3-2 loss to Fordham, before beating Holy Cross 3-2 to earn their first win of the season. On day two, the Huskies played at Boston College, where they won 3-1, winning the second set for the first time this season.

Head coach Ken Nichols said the inexperience of his team is a factor in the team’s play.

“We are going to be entertaining,” Nichols said. “We start some freshman so we are going to make some freshman mistakes and be erratic from time to time. That will help other teams to stay in it, but these kids can play. I can guarantee if you come to a match it is going to be entertaining.”

Before a raucous home crowd, Northeastern won a tight first set against UConn 25-22. They were then able to roll in the second set winning 25-15. The third set seemed to be going UConn’s way before Northeastern was able to turn things around and tie it at 16. The match went back and forth until Northeastern held serve at 25-23. Freshman setter Ina Kamenova was on the hook and served a ball that caught the top of the net and dropped in for the ace and the victory.

In an attempt to warm up for the basketball season, the N-Zone ordered the Diehard Dogs to show up for the showdown of the Huskies.

“It was really exciting,” Kamenova said. “I didn’t think that many people were going to come to our game. I thought the fans were definitely very supportive. I know the freshman were kind of nervous but we did pretty well for our first home match. Personally [the crowd] made me a bit nervous, but it also got me excited and pumped up.”

Three freshmen have asserted themselves so far. Kamenova at setter, and Janelle Tucker and Kelly Bacon at outside hitter. Bacon and Tucker have tallied 100 or more kills on the season. Bacon leads the team in hitting percentage at an outstanding .302. Tucker leads the team in attacks with 380, 97 more then the next person and service aces with 11. Tucker is also third in digs and Kamenova is one behind with 10 including the match winner Tuesday. She is also one of only two players to have played in every set. Kamenova has also earned regular playing time as the other setter opposite senior captain setter, and opposite hitter Britney Brown.

Brown is the only player other than Tucker to play in every set and leads the team in sets with 226 and kills with 116. Senior Libero Jessica LaScola is the leader in digs with 190.

The Huskies will wrap up their non-conference play in the Seton Hall Invitational before opening up the Colonial Athletic Association schedule at Virginia Commonwealth. The next home match is Oct. 1 against George Mason.