Northeastern men’s lacrosse comes back to upset South Carolina in overtime

Christopher Lenahan Jr. carries the ball down the field for Northeastern. Northeastern defeated South Carolina in overtime April 6. Photo courtesy Christian Gomez.

The Northeastern Huskies (5-4) fought through the rain and cold to upset the South Carolina Gamecocks (9-3) in a 11-10 overtime victory Saturday afternoon at Carter Field. 

With the Huskies and Gamecocks each leading their divisions, Continental Lacrosse Conference (CLC) Division 1 and SouthEastern Lacrosse Conference (SELC) Division 1 North, respectively, this game was important for each team’s record. It was also the first time the Huskies faced the Gamecocks ever. Both teams entered the game with a 2-game win streak, and came into the matchup looking to continue it as playoffs approached. 

Although Northeastern scored the first goal of the game within minutes, courtesy of junior midfielder Christopher Wilk, the Gamecocks were able to tie it a little later, and then soon took the lead. They kept ahead of the Huskies as both teams ran up the score, with South Carolina faltering only at the end of the game.

In the second quarter, South Carolina put one in after another as Northeastern struggled to keep the ball out of their side of the turf. 

Junior Sam Bellomy,  two-time Men’s College Lacrosse Association Goalie of the Week winner this season, kept the Huskies in the game with 20 saves, with a .645 save percentage 

At the end of the first half, the Gamecocks led 8-5. 

Northeastern was able to adjust going into the third quarter, cleaning up its passes and making more strategic plays. 

Keeping their composure, the Huskies kept working while the Gamecocks got more aggressive. This landed South Carolina an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, and Northeastern’s freshman Paddy Judge was able to capitalize, starting to close the gap between the scores to 9-6.

The third quarter concluded 10-6 in favor of the Gamecocks. 

With fiery determination, another Wilk goal and a Judge assist, the Huskies closed in on a one-goal deficit of 10-9. 

South Carolina gained a goal soon after, trying to regain their comfortable lead after the Huskies earned 5 goals in the fourth quarter. 

But the Huskies kept working, down 11-9 with 3:29 left in the game. 

With a hot offense, Northeastern created plenty of opportunities, but many shots went wide or were saved by South Carolina’s goalie. Anton Pace, a junior defenseman, brought the Huskies back to 11-10 after intercepting the ball from the Gamecocks’ defense and scoring off the turnover. 

With South Carolina under fire and the minutes ticking down, the Huskies put the pressure on. Biding their time, Wilk and junior midfielder Wynton Bastian passed back and forth until Bastian took the shot, scoring the equalizer for Northeastern. 

The Huskies and the Gamecocks battled it out in overtime, both determined to continue their winning streak. 

Northeastern won the initial faceoff, giving the Huskies momentum. After some scrappy play by both teams with some dropped balls, the Huskies earned an advantage due to a tripping penalty by South Carolina. Huskies passed the ball around, from Ryan McCarthy to Bradley Peterson to Bastian. Bastian scored the game-winner with a final score of 12-11. 

Bastian led the team with 4 goals and an assist. 

This win improves Northeastern’s record to 5-4. 

The Huskies face the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers (5-5) at home this Saturday, April 13 at 6:30 p.m.