Specialty shops in the South End: Look inside

Price Key:
$ – Low-priced
$$ – Moderately-priced
$$$ – High-priced

Don Otto’s Market
577 Tremont St., Boston
617-778-0360

Vibe: Inviting, think mom and pop shop

Price Point: $

Don Otto’s Market focuses on providing clean, locally-grown meat, poultry, fish, dairy and produce for the residents of its South End community. Don Otto’s works with local farms to sustain its inventory, so customers are likely to walk out of the store feeling confident that they shopped responsibly. Energetic and friendly, the staff makes you feel right at home as you browse through their selections, an array of fresh produce, meats and homemade pastries. Head over to this quaint grocer for a truly memorable shopping experience.

The Butcher Shop
552 Tremont St., Boston
617-423-4800

Vibe: Eclectic wine bar meets rustic meat shop

Price Point: $$ – $$$

Striving to deliver authentic French and Italian specialty dishes to its customers, The Butcher Shop does just that and then some. Inspired by European butcheries, The Butcher Shop fuses old-world charm with a modern take on classic meat-cutting. The establishment doubles as a wine bar, creating a delightful sensory experience. Feeling adventurous? Try the steak tartare, a cold meat dish made from minced raw beef. Looking for some classic comfort? Play it safe with reliable dishes like ribs or roast chicken. Cheese lovers even have the option of choosing from the shop’s wide-ranging selection of flavors, textures and forms of cheeses. Now for the best part: For dessert, the chocolate mousse is a popular choice. The Butcher Shop also offers a Sunday brunch that is sure to leave you satisfied.

South End Formaggio
268 Shawmut Ave., Boston
617-350-6996

Vibe: Cozy, warm and welcoming

Price Point: $ – $$

A hidden gem, South End Formaggio is tucked away into Boston’s South End neighborhood, adjacent to campus. The inviting shop is teeming with all sorts of treats that will delight even the most selective of palates. With gourmet sandwiches, $5, and cured meats, $12, this shop welcomes every budget. South End Formaggio places a high importance on variety, containing everything from imported olive oils to freshly made cakes and cookies. Overwhelmed by all of the amazing possibilities? Relax. Try a sample of cheese as you browse through the fresh jams and spices. South End Formaggio is reminiscent of a bonafide European market.

– Dani Wong, News Correspondent