Calendar: Sept. 23-29

By Gail Waterhouse, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Fluff festival’s fifth anniversary

Fluff festival’s fifth anniversary:

This Saturday, some serious “WTF?” action is going down in Somerville. That’s right, it’s time for the fifth annual “What the Fluff? A Tribute to Union Square Invention” festival. Archibald Query invented the sticky sandwich staple in Somerville’s Union Square in 1917, so to honor the native creation Union Square Main Streets holds a festival like only Somerville could. Included in the festivities are tributes to Fluff offshoot whoopie pie, musical performances, dance performances from a local burlesque troupe renamed (for the day) the “Flufferettes,” and an everything Fluff cooking contest. Additionally, the festival will feature fluffalicious games like “Pin the ‘F’ on Fluff Boy” and “Fluff Lick Off.” If nothing else, you can certainly get your fill of Fluff and reminisce about those elementary school fluffernutter sandwiches. Union Square Plaza, Somerville; 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.; Free; 617-955-0080.

Thursday, Sept. 23
Today is the last day of the 26th annual Boston Film Festival, which started last Friday.  This year, all movies at the festival are playing at the Theater District’s newly renovated Stuart Street Playhouse, which has transformed from a live performance venue to an indie movie theatre. The final feature film is “Iron Cross,” a thriller about a retired police officer and Holocaust survivor named Joseph who travels to Nuremberg, Germany to reconcile with his son. Joseph quickly comes to believe the man living in the apartment above him is the former S.S. officer who killed his entire family. The suspense builds through various flashbacks until the story reaches its riveting climax. Buy tickets online at Bostonfilmfestival.org.  200 Stuart St.; 7:15 p.m. to 9:20 p.m.; $8; 617-523-8388.

Friday, Sept. 23
Looking to do some serious dancing on Friday night? Look no further than the Middle East Downstairs, where six-piece retro-groove band Mystery Roar will be playing. Special guests include Bodega Girls, Hesta Prynn, Soul Clap, DJ Die Young and Baltimoroder. This eclectic mix of artists will most likely have something for everyone in your group:  Mystery Roar sounds like an electronica version of classic ’70s music; Bodega Girls, which is actually two men and describe themselves as “soul/afrobeat/electro”; the rest of the acts fall somewhere in between. 18+; 472/480 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; $10 advance, $12 doors; 617-864-3278.

Sunday, Sept. 26
Although Halloween is more than a month away, something about the fall season seems appropriate for watching horror movies. Local sci-fi and horror movie buffs J. Cannibal and Garen Daly will present “TerrorThon ’10: 9 Days of Horror,” which starts Sept. 24 and will continue through Saturday, Oct. 2. Sunday night’s feature is “God of Vampires,” a movie by local director Rob Fitz. The plot is simple enough to follow:  Frank Ng, a professional killer, is contracted to kill a Chinese crime lord, but then discovers the man is a vampire. What will Ng do to stop him and his army? After the movie, stay for a Q&A session with the director. 55 Davis Square, Somerville; 7 p.m.; $10; 617-625-5700.

Monday, Sept. 27
There are so many colleges in the Fenway area, but one that often gets overlooked is the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. On Monday night, artists will join the school’s curator to present the lecture “Message Received? How Contemporary Art Can Communicate – and Connect.” Contemporary art can often be dismissed as bizarre and confusing, so maybe this is your chance to go sit among the next generation of artists and see what contemporary art has to offer. Anderson Auditorium; 230 The Fenway; 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Free; 617-267-6100.

Tuesday, Sept. 28
Some students start the semester with the ambitious goal of getting and staying organized.  But shortly after the start of school, late nights creeping on Facebook and watching television start taking priority over organization.  Take back control of your schedule by attending Tuesday night’s author talk at the Boston Public Library. Stever Robbins discuss his new book “Get-It-Done Guy’s 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More,” which is aimed at helping college students and young adults keep their busy lives on track.  700 Boylston St.; 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; Free; 617-536-5400.

The time has come to begin the year of special guests at Blackman. On Tuesday night, the Council for University Programs will present “An Evening with Rob Riggle.” Riggle is best known as a correspondent on “The Daily Show,” but he has also had roles in “Step Brothers,” “The Hangover” and “The Other Guys.” Doors for the show open at 6:30; get there early if you want a seat. Blackman Auditorium; 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.; NU + 1 Free; [email protected].

Wednesday, Sept. 29
Living in a city doesn’t allow for many opportunities to gaze up at the stars, if you can even see them through the city lights. Public Open Night at Boston University’s Coit Observatory will give you the perfect opportunity to forget about the city lights and learn some astronomy. Come with friends or family to observe all that the night sky has to offer. 725 Commonwealth Ave.; 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Free; 617-353-2630.