Player of the Week: Gretta Samuelsdottir

After battling knee injuries for more than a year, Greta Samuelsdottir is finally coming back to her full potential.

The women’s soccer team’s sophomore forward scored three goals in the last two games, netting the game winner in both contests against Lafayette and New Hampshire. Her efforts have earned her Huntington News Player of the Week honors.

In the Huskies’ 3-0 victory over Lafayette Sept. 12, Samuelsdottir scored a goal in the 47th minute, then found the back of the net again in the 48th. Five days later against New Hampshire, she took ten shots and scored the deciding goal in a 3-1 Northeastern victory.

Seven games into this season, she leads the Huskies with five goals.

Her tremendous start has helped guide the Huskies to a 5-2 record to start the season. Still, she said she continues to push herself on the practice field.

For the first time since coming overseas from Kopavogur, Iceland, Samuelsdottir has been injury-free this season. She had previously been limited by a torn ACL and a torn meniscus.

“I’m excited for every practice, because I know how it is to not be able to practice,” Samuelsdottir said, referring to the time she missed due to injuries. “I just feel healthy.”

Her talent has not gone unnoticed in Iceland, where she has played for the women’s national team, which her mother has also done.

After playing in Iceland for three years, she decided to come play collegiate soccer in the United States. Soccer in the US is vastly different from soccer in Iceland, she said.

“The game here is faster,” she said. “At home, it’s much more technical.”

The contrasting playing styles hasn’t been the only difference for Samuelsdottir on the soccer field;  She moved from being a winger in Iceland to a forward in the US. The positional change has helped her score goals, but so has her health.

It’s the first time I’ve really felt like myself,” Samuelsdottir said.

She leads the team in shots, 30; shots on goal, 15; goals, five; and game-winning goals, three.

Before coming to Northeastern, Samuelsdottir attended Georgetown University for one year. Part of her decision to transfer to NU was the school’s communications program.

“I want to get into television,” Samuelsdottir said. “My dream is to do documentaries in Iceland.” But despite her athletic background, she said she is not interested in sports broadcasting.

Soccer has long been a passion for Samuelsdottir, who still plays in Iceland during the summer.

“I’ve been playing as long as I can remember,” she said.

As the Huskies head into conference play, Samuelsdottir is confident that the team can improve. “Once we play like we’re supposed to, we’ll be amazing,” Samuelsdottir said.

Despite her strong start to the season, Samuelsdottir expects more out of herself. “I know I can improve,” she said.