Letter to the Editor: Fox should defer to policy of transparency

In his infinite wisdom, Student Body President Ryan Fox has decided to close Finance Board meetings to the public. This means that unless you’re a member of the exclusive Student Government Association (SGA) Cash Club, you’ll have no say in how your Student Activity Fee (SAF) is spent.

Now, that extra $116 for the SAF you see on your tuition bill may not seem like a lot compared with other Northeastern expenses, but it adds up to a few million per year from the entire student body. That’s a lot of money to spend behind closed doors.

I won’t claim impartiality here: I’ve never seen an open meeting law I didn’t like. But I truly believe closing Finance Board meetings is an example of poor leadership on Fox’s part, as well as a giant middle finger to the student body.
Fox told The News that one of his major reasons for closing meetings is that releasing the names of performers before they sign contracts could hinder negotiations. I understand, and I agree. But the majority of what the committee deals with has nothing to do with outside performers.

In an interview with The News last week, former SGA president Rob Ranley said only about six of the 180 requests he handled were contracts subject to substantial leaks. Fox said about half of all Finance Board requests must be kept under wraps until a contract is signed.

That’s quite the disparity: Either Kathy Griffin is about to start performing here twice a week or Fox is exaggerating. I’m not too crazy about either option.

I don’t see what is oh-so-dangerous about releasing that the Outdoors Club is asking for extra cash for its lodge, Greek organizations are seeking more money for recruitment activities or cultural groups want to fund a fashion show. If SGA were a local government or student group at a state college, the group would be violating the Massachusetts open meeting law.
In the past, members of Finance Board (then called Budget Review Committee) simply said “the performer” instead of using the artist’s actual name. Board members can get the names of potential visitors before meetings and still openly voice their opinions – “The performer is hilarious and would draw a large audience,” “The performer’s style is gaining popularity,” “The performer’s TV show, ‘My Life on the D List,’ is not even remotely funny.”

See? Problem solved. You’re welcome, Fox.

Ranley, who has graduated and moved on from the grassy knolls of Huntington Avenue, told The News last week he thinks Fox is better off erring on the side of transparency.

“I was always under the opinion that if you’re making the right decision you have nothing to hide,” he said in the article.
I can’t help but agree.

– Gal Tziperman Lotan is a junior journalism major and a member of The News staff.