Jason Reeves discusses his career, plans

Photo courtesy/Jason Reeves

By Dani Wong, news correspondent

Singer/songwriter Jason Reeves, who has collaborated with Colbie Caillat and Kara DioGuardi, talked with The News before his show Monday at Harper’s Ferry. He is touring the United States with folk rock artist Brendan James, hitting stages from Omaha, Neb. to Pittsburgh, Penn.

Reeves’ down-to-earth personality comes across in simple conversation just as it does in his lyrics. Reeves said his earliest memories of music stem back to the early Michael Jackson days, and that as a little kid, he idolized the pop sensation. But he said it was Bob Dylan’s songs that got him through his teenage years. It was during those years Reeves initially developed a desire to make his own music, he said. He was involved in choir throughout high school and taught himself how to play the guitar.

But determining what put this musician on the map is more challenging.

“Working with Colbie was definitely a big part of it,” he said, referring to fellow singer Caillat, a close friend he met shortly after moving to California. “When we first met, she had barely written one song. She had no idea what really was in store for her.”

At first, Reeves said he and Caillat began writing music purely for the fun of it. It wasn’t until later they recorded songs like “Droplets,” one of their popular duets. Reeves also co-wrote many of Caillat’s songs, including chart-toppers “Bubbly” and “Realize.”

In order to be successful, Reeves advises having a strong drive to play to music.

“If you’re not fully committed to music or what you’re doing, then you’re gonna give up because it’s a hard thing to do in the end,” he said. “It takes an incredible amount of time and patience. You have to gear everything up all the way.”

In fact, Reeves said he still faces challenges when writing his music.

“It’s very painful to go through sometimes,” Reeves said. “The time it takes is just an infinite amount.”

But the singer said he doesn’t let the struggle knock him down and tries to stay optimistic, focusing on living in the moment.

“I don’t like predicting [the future] or really even thinking about it because it’s such a mystery,” he said. “In general, I just want to keep making music. You know, see beautiful things, experience life, be in love along the way. That’s my goal.”