Chocolate meets couture

Coco Chanel may have met her match with cocoa and couture.

Boston’s 15th annual Fashion Week debuted last week with several small launch parties. One party took place on Newbury Street at a store that opened less than a year ago, making it’s way from England to Boston, called Hotel Chocolat.

A red carpet drew the fashionistas of Boston into the small, seductive chocolate shop at 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 24. The event, called Chocolat and Couture, featured flat-screen televisions flashing photographs of designs from local designers like Millie Bautista, Catalina de la Torre, Michael DePaulo and Daniel Faucher. In the center of the store were a plethora of small bowls and plates with tiny morsels of chocolate for guests to taste as they gazed at New England’s most recent trends.

This year, Boston Fashion Week collaborated with the college’s fashion merchandising students in order to help students gain experience in the industry. The event featured several Bay State College students who helped organize the event.

The other people in the store were locals with a fervor for fashion. They perused both the designs and chocolate as they mingled with other fashion-forward guests.

“It’s a great way to see up and coming designers,” said Suzie Lee, a graduate student at the New England School of Acupuncture.

This venue differs greatly from the grandeur of the New York Fashion Week events, which ended about two weeks ago.
Sarah Shaffer, a guest at the event, said although there are some stark differences between Boston and New York fashion weeks, there is something unique about Boston’s approach.

“I like that it’s so inviting,” she said. “They are very welcoming and open to everybody. Boston Fashion Week is more of a local connection with people and designers. New York Fashion Week is more to show off the fashion than to invite people.”

Andraya Blair, a Bay State College sophomore, said she thinks it’s the size of the fashion community in Boston that keeps Fashion Week small.

“It’s much smaller [than New York Fashion week], and not as well known,” she said. “I feel like it’s just a small community, but if you are into [fashion] you know where to look.”

Being involved and interested in fashion can mean buying high-end brand names like Ralph Lauren or Donna Karan, but it can also mean finding items at lower prices, which is what Boston Fashion Week advertises.

Lee said she appreciates high-end fashion, but at the same time likes to finds fun pieces at stores like 344 and Anthropologie.

“I even find great things for good prices at Marshalls,” she said.

Shaffer said she likes to shop at local boutiques.

“I love fashion,” she said. “There are so many different views and takes on it. It appeals to so many different audiences.”

– Alexandra Siegel, News Correspondent