Facebook film ‘Social Network’ is status-worthy

By Danny Mortimer, news correspondent

It’s no surprise that the “The Social Network” was No. 1 at the box office this weekend: People want to see the story behind Facebook, the website that has changed the face of social media and is actively used by more than 500 million people worldwide.

The film focuses on two lawsuits filed against chief executive Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg), one by Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin (Andrew Garfield) and another by twins Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss (both played by Armie Hammer). Jumping between scenes of the law precedings and how Facebook was founded in Zuckerberg’s Harvard dorm room, it tells the story of how Facebook got to be the behemoth of a networking site it has become.

Hilarious at times, dark and depressing at others, “The Social Network” sucks viewers into the incredible story of Facebook’s creation.

While the film is no doubt worth watching, some controversy has arisen over its accuracy. For one, founder Mark Zuckerberg is portrayed as an anti-social, jealous, backstabbing sociopath.

Zuckerberg, ranked as the 35th richest person in the world by Forbes Magazine, did not want the movie to be filmed and alleges that the book by local writer Ben Mezrich has large inaccuracies. He recently made an appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show, on which he said, “I can promise you, this is my life so I know it’s not that dramatic.”

The film’s screenwriter, Aaron Sorkin, said on the Sept. 30 episode of The Colbert Report, however, that he was presented with three different stories of the events and that he represented all of them in the movie. Saverin and the Winklevoss’ both recieved settlements from Facebook, perhaps hinting there was legitimacy in their claims that Zuckerberg double-crossed them.

“It got confusing at times, but I liked it a lot, said Dan Pomerleau, a freshman physical therapy major. “The acting was really good and I never lost interest.”

Freshman international business major Sean Devejian saw the movie and agreed.

“Its weird, you never really think about the behind-the-scenes aspect of Facebook, so it was cool to see that,” he said.

And if the positive reviews aren’t reason enough to justify paying $11 for a ticket, Northeastern students in particular will appreciate that the movie has some brutal insults for rival school Boston University.

“The Social Network” lives up to the hype, and is definitely worth a trip to the theater – it will have viewers “liking” it for sure.