New printing options to be added over long weekend

By Zac Estrada, News Staff

Northeastern’s Information Systems (IS) Department is rolling out a new way of printing in the university’s computer labs, aiming to put an end to long waits in front of the machines.

Starting next week, the existing free print quota system will be supplemented by a self-service free print allowance at InfoCommons 1 and 2, Dodge Hall labs, Snell Library labs and Behrakis Health Sciences Center.

In an e-mail Wednesday to students, Vice President of Information Services Bob Weir said the setup will be phased in over the Columbus Day weekend.

“Under this system, a student will be able to direct print to IS self-service printers from anywhere; whether in the InfoCommons, on campus, or off campus via the Internet,” Weir said in the e-mail.

Students at lab computers will be able to add documents to a “virtual print queue,” and have up to two hours to go to a printer, swipe a Husky Card and select the file to print. While the current free page count will still be enforced, there will be no limit to the number of pages printed at one time.

Students familiar with long lines and time limits at some print stations said they welcome the change in procedures.

“The new system will save a lot of time,” said Neela Farahani, a sophomore civil engineering student, while waiting for a document to print at Snell Library. She said she uses university printers almost every day for her classwork.

“Usually there is a long line for the printer,” Farahani said. “The wait can be up to 15 minutes. Sometimes the computers are slow and it can take five minutes just to open my e-mail to get the file.”

Weir said the new system will continue with Northeastern’s steps to reduce paper waste because cover pages will no longer be printed with every document. He said the program will be expanded to other locations in the future.

Student Government Association members declined to comment on the new printing policies.

More information about the university’s printing policies are available at Northeastern.edu/infoservices.