Vanna EP album

By Brooke Daly, news correspondent

Vanna, a post-hardcore five-man group from Boston, had something to prove with their fourth recorded effort.

The Honest Hearts EP is the first music released with new screamer Davey Muise at the helm. The news of former vocalist Chris Preece’s departure left many fans upset and doubting Muise’s ability to perform. However, the doubt is quickly replaced with satisfaction after listening to the record.

Vanna stuck to their formula of catchy choruses, tight guitar work and meaningful screaming vocals, but added a bit more of a raw element to the songs’ harsher vocals. The opening seconds of “Lost and Bound” display Muise’s vocals at their best. Evan Pharmakis, Vanna’s other vocalist, has one of the best voices in the genre and has his shining moments as well.

As a whole, the band’s musicianship has evolved. “Sending Vessels” is one of the band’s best track openings with its pounding breakdown and addictive sound that draws the listener in.

Listeners enjoy some records because of the contrast between the artist’s new music compared to their older tracks. While the EP may not have brought numerous changes, it is still a solid record.

Those who do not enjoy Vanna’s genre will be quick to dismiss the release, but fans of the band and the genre itself will deem it a good listen.

As the band continues to tour, it will be good to hear these new songs played and sung along with at shows. Vanna is not a band to disappoint, or ignore, their fans, and this record is no exception.

The new release has all of Vanna’s best elements pulled together to make music that will please fans of both Vanna and the post-hardcore style.