Celebrate the season with festive fall activities

By David Royster, news correspondent

Fall is the perfect time to rent a Zipcar and venture around to local attractions to partake in seasonal activities.

Boston residents are lucky enough to witness the mosaic of fall colors New England has to offer. But surrounding areas contribute even more to the festive fall experience, whether it’s historic locations, picking apples or partaking in creepy ghost tours. This fall, whip out the Zipcards, load up on commuter rail tickets and be sure to check out these essential must-do seasonal activities:

1. Plimouth Plantation

Best known as the site where the Pilgrims docked the Mayflower in 1620, Plymouth was the location of the first Thanksgiving. Located in the small town is a live re-creation of the 17th century settlement. Plimouth Plantation has a variety of features and exhibits that have attendees lost in time. Between the scenery and costumed actors, the village puts participants directly into the 1627 world of the small farming community the English built on the Wampanoag homeland. Be sure to check out the Wampanoag home site, home to one of the first peoples of the New England region. Unlike the English village, the hosts of the Wampanoag site do not role-play; instead they speak in contemporary lingo about the experiences of their ancestors. Driving directions are available at the vendor’s site: Plimoth.org.

2. Salem

Salem is a great New England destination any time of year, but the Halloween season makes a trip there the perfect October activity. Step into the Salem Witch Museum, which brings visitors back to 1692, when the hysterical Salem community brutally murdered suspected witches. Other festive fares to see include the New England Pirate Museum or the Salem Willows Amusement Park. The town turns into a regular “Halloweentown” in October, hosting over 140 events known as “Haunted Happenings” that range from historical walks, ghost tours and festivals. Salem is accessible by commuter rail year-round or by scenic boat tour through Nov. 1.

3. Belkin Family Lookout Farm, South Natick

It wouldn’t be fall without some apple picking. Look no further than the Belkin Family Lookout Farm, the oldest continuously-working farm in the country. The organic farm was established in 1651 and has sought to become the “number one healthy, outdoor, family fun destination” in the Boston metro area, according to their website. Besides their nine varieties of apple, Belkin farm also produces Asian pears and pumpkins during the autumn months. Check out the burlap maze, a hay pyramid, train rides and a petting zoo. A calendar of events and driving directions to the site can be found at Lookoutfarm.com.

4. The Providence Open Market

Now in its fourth season, the Providence Open Market is the only open-air market where shoppers can get handmade artisan goods, fine arts and fresh produce in Providence, R.I. Located in Lippitt Park in the eastern part of Providence, the market is every Saturday during September and October. Committed to partnering with community-based art and development organizations, the market provides visitors with unique local artists and musicians, and gives Providence a cool meeting place where patrons can shop for art, healthy treats, jewelry, accessories and much more. The market takes place every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Providence is accessible by commuter rail.