Column: Students should be considered in health care fight

The debate over health care this past year has boiled down to one question:  Is health care in the United States a fundamental right or is it a privilege? I like to think that the basic necessities (health, education, jobs and housing) are all fundamental rights. Health care should be a priority for government to provide to its citizens – not just accessible to those who can afford it. The ongoing struggle of uninsured Americans continues to widen the gap between the rich and poor, and the age group mostly affected by this is 18-29-year-olds, according to Rock the Vote, a political group that encourages young people to participate in elections.

Universal health care has a long way to go, but while we are waiting, we can fix the problems that affect students in particular. Young adults are experiencing difficulties paying for health insurance all over the country. Focusing on Massachusetts, the state implemented a law in 1989 requiring every student to obtain a health insurance plan, whether through the university or an alternative plan through their parents or work. The insurance plan provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield at Northeastern costs students $2,160 annually. Students can waive this fee with proof of another plan, but for those without insurance, it’s a hefty fee on top of the expenses of higher education.

How can we offer a less expensive plan for Northeastern and other college students in Massachusetts? Instead of a private insurance plan that requires out of pocket spending, the federal and state government should offer subsidized state health insurance. The state government would cover the cost of health insurance by using the many taxes the government collects each year. This will eliminate the burden of high insurance costs students are required to pay.

I know what many of you are thinking. How can we afford another service in a time when the country is in debt? Eliminating wasteful red tape, costly defense spending and corporate welfare handouts can make room for such an important service to students. Keeping the public healthy is key to keeping everyone safe. It’s a right, and while our country is not in the position to create a publicly funded health care system right now, we can do our best to ensure students are able to afford this basic need.

Why is this so important right now? Students are entering the most competitive and limited job markets in American history. With a fragile economy and the worry of unemployment, our basic necessities of living should be covered. We should not have to worry about the thousands of dollars we pay for insurance when we could obtain efficient and top quality health care through the state.

President Obama’s health reform bill did not accomplish the initial goal of insuring every American. Costs are still high and people are still uninsured. We should not risk the chances of students who are already paying for a high cost of education.

We can indeed make this work and create a less expensive and more efficient plan for students. From there, we can work toward universal health care for all citizens of the United States and put an end to the massive health insurance lobby that makes costs more expensive and limits many working people the access to see a doctor. Health is a right not a privilege, and in order to establish this right for students, the country must organize and create a safety net for students who are embarking on their educational experiences.

– Ethan Rauf can be reached at [email protected].