Swimming: Huskies sink Eagles, win two straight

By: Jimmy Brooks, News Correspondent

The swimming & diving team improved its record to 2-0 Saturday, defeating Boston College 165-127. The Huskies won the first eight events, and took 12 of 16 total.

“Beating Boston College is always a good feeling,” head coach Roy Coates said. “They’ve been a rival of ours from the start, so it was a big win. The kids are competing, whether it be in practice or in the actual races, and it’s been great to see them carry their intensity over to the meets. We’re just glad to come away with the win.”

Once again, the theme of the day was largely the success of freshmen, who won eight events.

Freshman Julia Sepulveda won both the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard breast stroke with times of 1:56.65 and 1:06.43, respectively. Her twin sister, Adriana, showed off her talent as well, registering a time of 5:10.90 to take the 500 freestyle.

Freshmen Julia Alvarez and Colleen McCormack also won individual events, with Alvarez placing first in the 100 yard breaststroke with a time of 1:06.43, and in the 200 breaststroke 2:25.46. McCormack took the 1,000 yard freestyle, completing the race in 10:38.09.

“We have really good young swimmers, and great leadership,” Coates said. “The freshmen are extremely talented, and the senior leadership is the perfect compliment to that young talent. I couldn’t ask for more right now, the team feels like the perfect mix, we just have to hope that our success continues, and I don’t see any reason why it won’t.”

Senior swimmer Rachel Mondello said the depth and team chemistry greatly benefits the team.

“We get along great, and more than anything, we work hard during practice,” Mondello said. “We all know each other really well, and we feed off each other’s energy.”

Freshmen divers Candace Young and Lee Anna Talarico finished first and third in the one meter diving event as well, posting scores of 246.97 and 217.14, respectively.

Upperclassmen also played an instrumental part in the victory. Senior Sarah Martin was victorious in the 50 freestyle with a time of 24.97, and Junior Jill Kearns came away with two wins of her own, placing first in the 100 yard at 1:00.02 and 200 yard butterfly at 2:09.63.

“A lot of the upperclassmen stepped up,” Mondello said. “Team morale is definitely impacted by the seniors. I think when the younger kids see us going out and just racing, it calms them. They know were here for support. We were just glad to beat BC, and were glad we could provide some leadership. ”

Northeastern will hit the pool once again on Nov. 6 and 7 when the Huskies head to Harrisonburg, Va. for their next meet. James Madison, the College of Charleston, Old Dominion and William & Mary will all be competing against Northeastern.