Converse concept store steps onto Newbury

By Aida Velazquez-Santiago

With roots in Malden, headquarters in North Andover and several retailers in Massachusetts, iconic shoe brand Converse is showing its appreciation for the capital of its home state in a whole new way.

Converse opened its first-ever standalone retail store in the US Oct. 15 at 348 Newbury St. There are about 2,000 Converse affiliate stores worldwide; however, the Converse location on Newbury Street is one of kind.

“We carry a premium new apparel line, a first of its kind for the company,” said Lisa Lee, the store’s assistant manager. “It is exclusive to the US store.”

The Converse on Newbury Street provides a new kind of personal shopping experience. Using an iPad, customers can create a new pair of Converse using pre-selected graphics and take them home right away, without waiting for shipping and handling.

Kerry Harrison, a sophomore music industry major, said she thinks a lot of people will like the option of customizing their own shoes.

“I would probably not pay to have mine customized, but I know a lot of people who like that,” Harrison said.

Lee said the in-store shoe design is one of the major draws of coming into the store.

“The ability to customize the shoes in-store is the biggest new concept the store has brought to the brand,” Lee said.

The store also carries Boston themed footwear and apparel. School pride can be shown with a pair of shoes dedicated to the colors of any university. Shirts and shoes are embellished with the phrase “I [Converse logo] Boston.” The store features clothing with themes of different Boston neighborhoods, such as Southie, Beacon Hill, Allston, and “The Bay.”

The same pair of shoes costs more at the Converse store than at retail locations. A Converse Chuck Taylor low-rise All-Star shoe goes for $45 on the Converse website, and the same shoe sells for $39.99 at Journeys.

A pair of Converse from their Target line will cost anywhere between $25 and $30, while the originals from the Newbury Street store will start at $40.

Their Boston gear can be pricey though; a pair of Boston-themed high-tops with the “I [Converse logo] Boston” embellishment cost $75.

But like many other retail locations around the city, flashing a school ID gives a 10 percent student discount.

So far, the high price tag has not been an issue for the two-story store.

“Everyone is loving the experience,” Lee said. “There is a lot to see [in the store]. Something for all your senses.”

Harrison said she is excited for more Converse stores to open in the future.

“Everyone can wear them, it’s not only certain types of people. They are universal,” Harrison said.

Harrison said she likes the atmosphere of the Converse store.

“I liked the store’s cool vibe and I think it will do well because of the new urban markets opening on the street,” said Harrison.