Column: SGA Facebook page a good way to reach students

I commend the Student Government Association (SGA), President Ryan Fox and other members of the organization for recently creating a Facebook page devoted to recognizing students’ ideas for ways to improve life as Huskies. With the page’s motto, “It’s your money, tell us how you want to see it spent on and around campus,” SGA members have initiated a more direct way to communicate with students and to ease the average Husky’s questions and concerns.

In the Nov. 4 issue of The News, Fox said it was a “cool way to reach out and start some discussion.” I agree. We live in a world dependent on texting, Facebook and Twitter, so why not take advantage of the social networks in SGA’s world of academia? To me, there’s nothing wrong with that.

Sure, SGA might not immediately be able to find resolutions to students’ feedback, but at least the members recognize the importance of hearing students’ concerns. With the Facebook dialogue, SGA members will incorporate more of the student population in brainstorming ideas for enhancing and developing anything and everything that concerns life at Northeastern.

I have attended SGA meetings in the past and I understand why students might feel intimidated, or decide never to attend. But that doesn’t mean SGA should exclude non-members from having the opportunity to voice their opinions on campus, a place where they pay a large sum of money to call home for four or five years.

Since there are Facebook pages, groups and events for every kind of absurdity – “Bananas in Pajamas dominated my childhood”; “How headphones get tangled up on their own, I’ll never understand”; “I read the group name, I laugh, I join, I never look at it again” – some people might think the creation of a Facebook page is the norm these days.

But this particular page has potential. A student suggested on Sunday the creation of a sports management major; a student on Friday yearned for allocating laundry bucks to individuals living off campus; and another student last Tuesday asked for a Citizens Bank ATM on campus.
All legitimate concerns and suggestions. And there are endless ideas on the page.

Granted, the concerns deal with a varying range of different departments around campus. And, let’s be honest – SGA deals with everything relating to Northeastern and its students.

The major issues students wish to see resolved might not happen for a few weeks, months, years, heck – at the rate of some things around here – even decades when we are university alumni. But, at the very least, SGA members will have the opportunity to notice our concerns now, and hopefully begin serious conversations to solve problems – if not for us, then for future Huskies.

I was disappointed in SGA in September when members notified The News that it would not be able to send a reporter to the Finance Board meetings anymore, and therefore, could not report what was happening. The Finance Board is a subcommittee of SGA that allocates money to student groups through the $116 Student Activities Fee each undergraduate student pays annually as a part of tuition. Although I still do not agree with SGA’s decision to close meetings to reporters from The News and subsequently the student body, I am confident in its decision to engage in dialogue with students.

As long as students continue to voice their opinions, we can only hope SGA considers our issues and takes our concerns seriously. It’s our money and our education. SGA has given us the chance to have a voice in government happenings. Take advantage of the opportunity. Have some input.

– Michele Richinick can be reached at
[email protected].