Editorial: NU should expand gender-neutral housing

The option of living in gender neutral housing has been available to Huskies since 2009. At that point, International Village became the only option on campus should students want to cohabitate with members of the opposite sex. Only about 64 students are currently living in gender neutral housing (up 49 beds from last year).

Northeastern is clearly behind the game on this one. More than 30 schools from across the country implement gender neutral housing, a majority of which did it before Northeastern. Haverford College in Pennsylvania offered it starting in 2000. Some colleges, like Brown University and Colorado College, gave students the option of gender neutral housing in 2004.

A wave of colleges including Harvard College, Brandeis University and Ithaca College started offering it in 2008, right before Northeastern. (Though it is interesting to note that at Harvard, only students who identify as “transgender” can choose to take advantage of this option). There are even schools that have offered it for upwards of 15 years or more, including Wesleyan University and Hampshire College. Point being, this is the direction on campus housing is moving in.

In a recent survey by the Student Government Association (SGA), 44 percent of the 847 students surveyed said they think there should be more gender-neutral housing available to students living on-campus. Those surveyed include an equal distribution of students from each class, those living on-campus and off.

SGA also provided a survey of those students currently living in gender neutral housing. Students indicated that while they are happy that Northeastern is providing this option, it is not fair to confine it to International Village.

Gender neutral housing should be available in apartment-style complexes as well, so that those who choose it have the same options as every other student as to where they want to live on campus.

SGA is preparing to propose to the Housing Task Force that gender neutral housing be expanded – to be gender neutral by apartment, same gender by bedroom and that it be available in enhanced and standard dorms.

Gay students and those who identify as transgender shouldn’t have to choose between having a kitchen and living where they feel comfortable. They should have choices. Dishwasher or no dishwasher. Expensive or inexpensive. Two roommates or three.

Other schools offer extensive options for gender neutral housing. For example, at Brandeis University and Connecticut College there is no specific floor or residence hall devoted to gender neutral housing, rather students who wish to take advantage of it can live wherever they want on campus.

Opponents of gender neutral housing might argue that it encourages sex, or couples to live together before they are ready. But students are adults and will do what they want to regardless of Northeastern’s rules and regulations, and it is not fair to punish the rest of the student body who can benefit from this type of housing.