Column: Rivalry with Terriers renewed tomorrow

Alex Faust, The Press Box

It’s all you could ask for.

Tomorrow, Northeastern hosts Boston University to open the men’s basketball season. On a Friday night. At Matthews Arena. In front of a (sure to be) packed house.

Every year, these teams face one another for an annual non-conference showdown, merely for bragging rights. No longer are these teams locked together in America East Conference bouts, and despite the tight rivalry between the Huskies and Terriers, a quick glance at the teams’ Ratings Percentage Index (RPI), or strength of schedule, would clearly hand superiority to Northeastern.

But this is BU we’re talking about. Northeastern fans love to hate on their friends from Commonwealth Avenue, whether it’s in men’s basketball or a burrito eating competition.

Previously, games were held during Thanksgiving week, an awkward tradition to say the least. Last year, the game was held one day before the Thanksgiving holiday, and fewer than 1,000 people were in attendance at BU’s Case Gym.

Thankfully, both coaches came to their senses and scheduled this annual match-up as the season opener, capitalizing on the novelty of a season-opener with the intrigue of a local rivalry. Unfortunately for the Huskies, it may not make much difference.

Northeastern has been handed plenty of chances to win, during the past two years, yet the Huskies politely declined each one.

The 2008 meeting was notable because of the added promotion for the event. Northeastern marketing called it “The Battle of Boston” and Northeastern ponied up cash to put it on NESN. Yet there were two problems:  The crowd was a meager 2,500 and the game was one which Northeastern could have easily won, had it not been for the 3-point heroics of then-freshman BU forward Jake O’Brien. The Huskies lost 83-75, and the Terriers tied a school record by hitting 15 three-pointers in one game.

In 2009, the Huskies had a late lead, but the inability to hit a basket for minutes at a time gave the Terriers a Thanksgiving to remember, storming back to take the win in overtime 69-64. BU committed two turnovers late in overtime, giving the Huskies two chances to tie or take the lead in a one-point game, yet NU barely got a shot off. You can call it good defending for BU, but I’ll call it like it is – Northeastern choked away a win.

So yes, get your hopes up for this game. It should be the “event” we’ve all been looking forward to. But remember in the back of your mind that despite BU’s presence in the minnow of mid-majors, America East, the Terriers get up for this game and find ways to win when it counts.

Huskies’ fans can talk all day long about how their RPI has been superior, but there’s no denying this – the last time Northeastern beat Boston University was 2007.

One can only hope fans will have enough fun to return next week, regardless of Friday’s outcome.