Volleyball: Huskies can clinch CAA Tourney berth this weekend

The volleyball team completed a season sweep of Hofstra University Saturday, defeating the Pride 3-0 at Solomon Court. The Huskies currently sit in third place in the CAA with an 8-4 league record and two games remaining.

By Nathan Vaughan, News Staff

After a successful weekend, the volleyball team is right in the hunt for one of the three remaining playoff spots.

Delaware locked up first place for the first time in three years and will host the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Tournament in two weeks. The Huskies are tied for third place in the conference with an 8-4 CAA record, and are 17-9 overall.

The two remaining opponents, James Madison University (JMU) and Geroge Mason University (GMU), are part of that tie. Virginia Commonwealth also sits only a game ahead of the pack in second place.

Northeastern hosted Hofstra University Nov. 6 and looked for its first-ever season sweep and only the third win at home against the Pride.

“Northeastern is our biggest rival and we definitely don’t like splitting the series,” Hofstra head coach Kristina Hernandez said. “They have a pretty strong team right now.”

The Huskies started off the first set strong and built a comfortable 16-9 lead. Hofstra had a 6-1 run to pull within two but would pull no closer, falling 25-21.

NU grabbed a 13-3 lead in the second set and held on to win 25-18.

The third set was all Northeastern as it cruised 25-9 to finish the home season with a 5-3 record.

“It feels like another good win in a tough conference season ,” head coach Ken Nichols said. “I think, and most people would agree, that the whole legacy issue with Hofstra is pretty much over. That lengthy history of their dominating is a non issue now. Our concern is winning one match at a time and giving ourselves a chance to make the postseason.”

Senior captain, setter and opposite hitter Britney Brown had her 15th double-double of the season with 11 kills and sets. Senior outside hitter Allison Knoff recorded a career high of six kills.

The two remaining matches are at James Madison tomorrow at 7 p.m. The final match of the regular season is Saturday at 7 p.m. Both teams are 4-1 at home in CAA play.

Northeastern is in control of its postseason destiny. If the Huskies win out, they can finish in either second or third place.

“We did what we were supposed to:  Win the game,” senior defensive specialist Helene Servillon said. “We stayed consistently strong and kept the lead through all three [sets]. Every point and every game from here on out is definitely very important. And with that mentality I think we are going to make it to the post season.”