Men’s basketball: Allen will lead young, unproven men’s squad

By Patrick McHugh, News Staff

Despite coming off a 20-win season and an appearance in the National Invitational Tournament, the men’s basketball team enters this season with a lingering question:  Who will replace Matt Janning?

For the last four seasons the guard from Watertown, Minn., did almost everything for the Huskies, serving as a captain for three seasons, being named First Team All-Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) twice (2009, 2010) and finishing fourth in school history in points scored (1,836). Janning and forwards Manny Adako and Nkem Ojougboh accounted for 56 percent of the team’s scoring last season.

With those three out of the lineup, the team will look to make up the offensive numbers in different ways, head coach Bill Coen said.

“Hopefully some of our defense can create some easy offense,” Coen said. “Even in years past, our defense has ignited our offense. Guys have to evolve in that role. You have to rely on execution to generate scoring opportunities.”

The likely offensive leader this season will be senior guard Chaisson Allen. The returning First Team All-CAA player enjoyed a successful junior campaign in which he raised his scoring average to 13.6 points-per-game and posted the league’s highest 3-point shooting percentage of 47.4 percent in CAA games. He said this season he will look to use his mid-range jump shot to open up scoring opportunities.

“Last year it was either take it to the basket or shoot [3-pointers],” Allen said. “I feel like I needed to add that in-between game to my repertoire.”

The only other senior on the roster is forward Vinny Lima, who averaged 6.1 minutes-per-game last season but is expected to start this year. Lima, who has a long, 6-foot-10-inch athletic frame, said he brings a different look for opponents compared to Adako and Ojougboh.

“I’m not going to say I’m going to try and do exactly what Manny and [Nkem] did because they are different types of players,” Lima said. “I’m going to do what I do, open up and spread the floor and try to be as aggressive as I can.”

With only two seniors and one junior, forward Ben Felix, Coen said he is looking for big production from his five sophomores.

“I think they are the key to the season, their maturation and their development because we are going to need a lot of help from that class,” he said.

Sophomore guard/forward Alwayne Bigby started 28 games last year and earned a lot of playing time late in games. While he garnered a reputation as a shut-down defender, he said his offensive contributions will be important.

“This whole summer I have been working on my offensive game,” Bigby said. “I know my defensive game is right there and it’s even better, but I’ve been focusing more on my offensive game to help out Chase.”

Sophomore forward Kauri Black only played 19 games last season because of a preseason knee injury, but increased his playing time toward the end of the season. With a 6-foot-7-inch frame, he gives the Huskies an athletic option in the low post, though he said he must stay on the floor to make an impact.

“You have to be in good shape,” Black said. “Those dudes [Janning, Adako, Ojougboh] were durable, they could play the whole game. You have to take every possession seriously.”

Without a set lineup or rotation, Coen said each player will be given an opportunity to play at the outset.

“Early in the season I expect we are going to have to play more guys so we can figure out rotations,” he said. “It is a learning process for us and we are going to have to see how guys respond when the lights go on.”

Northeastern begins its 2010-11 campaign tomorrow night at home against intra-city foe Boston University. The Terriers have beaten the Huskies the last two seasons. Tip-off at Matthews Arena is scheduled for 7 p.m.

The Huskies’ schedule is highlighted by the Boston Tip-Off Classic, which will be held at the TD Garden Dec. 4 against Drexel University and the Cancun Governor’s Cup, held in Cancun, Mexico from Dec. 22-24.