Letter: Northeastern has chance to excel in research

As Northeastern forges ahead in elite company, aiming to create some of the world’s most innovative research and science, we as a community will need to answer some vital and complex questions to ensure Northeastern’s future momentum and success in this area. Especially if we expect to succeed in creating the best research environments that are not only truly innovative but also foster the best collaborative partnerships to unlock the greatest scientific discoveries. And we must achieve these goals without losing sight of why we’re here in the first place – to excel at creating the best student experiences and teaching opportunities offered in the world.

I’ve had many great opportunities to consult with various expert researchers on how research is conducted at the leading universities around the world. While many of the top research institutions (Berkeley, Caltech, MIT, Rockefeller, etc. …) are perceived as productive, they are grappling with a lack of innovation and collaboration in a culture of extreme competition, the politics of who receives publication credit, and therefore potential future funding. This perceived productivity ultimately hijacks great science and innovation and perpetuates more of the same. Go to any top research institution in the nation and start asking around. What you will learn is that this competition has become its own worst obstacle to true innovation, collaboration and breakthrough discoveries.

Instead of setting the highest possible standards in professional and ethical conduct, many of the world’s leading universities are turning a blind eye. Often, professional conduct and ethics take a backseat in research laboratories, even though leaders are fully aware of what’s taking place on campus. Just speak with the international students/researchers, the real worker bees here. They’re the ones incredibly burdened by the current system, because they’re the ones often taken advantage of and/or threatened with exportation if they don’t cooperate.

As we move forward, how do we do things better while being far more ethical than our peers? Simply put, how do we build an even better mousetrap? And, once we’ve succeeded, how do we make it even better than before? And, in the case of higher education, research and entrepreneurship, how do we build the most innovative, creative and collaborative teams to produce the best possible scientific research and overall educational experiences?

What incentives would alter the current system of competition and instead promote higher standards of profession and ethics, perpetuate greater collaboration and efficiencies, and thus result in far greater science and innovation? How do we take responsibility and action for inappropriate behavior, regardless of how many millions are at stake and limit the power and influence of any one individual?

Higher education’s most noble purpose is to teach and educate our youth and our future leaders, and to instill vital lessons, knowledge and skills (through classroom, peer and faculty interactions and unique experiences outside of the classroom) for the benefit and progress of each human being and society at large. Some of those most vital lessons are ethical responsibilities, critical and creative thinking, innovation, and the best possible research and science.

Harvard University just announced plans to build an innovation and entrepreneurship lab in Allston on the site of the former WGBH building. It’s holding discussions to address the very same complex questions – how to create the most innovative, creative and collaborative environments in research and science while upholding the highest standards in profession and ethics.

Northeastern is willing and ready under strong and confident leadership to aim its sights higher than ever before. The university stands a great chance at capitalizing and succeeding because an innovative approach to higher education is a part of its DNA. People on campus think outside of the box. The place isn’t entrenched in the old way of ‘thinking and doing’ like so many other research institutions. Northeastern stands a greater chance in succeeding where others have failed because of its strong belief that true innovation and collaboration are possible. This is not only possible but preferable and vital to the future success of Northeastern and humanity at large.

Lastly, how will Northeastern create a system of true innovation and collaboration in research and science, and achieve the highest standards in professional conduct and ethics?

– Michael Turgeon is a 1996 Northeastern graduate.