Meal swipes at Rebecca’s Cafe

By: Megan Kerbel

Walk into Churchill Hall and down the stairs and one will find Rebecca’s Cafe, a food retailer that is brand-new to campus and offers alternatives to dining hall food, all for the price of a meal swipe.

Rebecca’s, a Burlington-based catering company, has several catering locations in Boston, two in Cambridge, and several in suburban Massachusetts. The franchise offers an extensive catering menu for corporations as well as special event catering, where clients can request staffing, silver, linens and china.

Rebecca’s location at Northeastern opened Aug. 23. It is managed by Chartwells, the same company that keeps track of all dining services on campus. However, the fresh sandwiches, burgers and other entrees featured there are true to the same entrees featured at the main Rebecca’s Cafe catering locations.

Kathy Connors, partner manager at Rebecca’s, said the cafe has become a popular destination for students, especially during lunchtime. The current home to Rebecca’s previously housed Churchill Dining Hall, which only accepted HuskyDollars and cash. Meal plan swipes could not be used, making it more of a professor’s lunch destination than a student’s.

Connors said the meal plan exchange program and Rebeccas fresh food have been responsible for the rise in popularity among students.

“I was told last year the customers [at Churchill] were 70 percent faculty and 30 percent students,” Connors said. “I’d say it’s just the opposite this year.”

The cafe gives patrons the option to mix and match different food items to equal a meal swipe. For example, a sandwich, bag of chips and soda is one meal swipe. This is just one of many different varieties equal to a meal swipe offered at the new cafe.

Rebecca’s has also been accommodating to students with dietary restrictions. Vegetarian entrees, such as a salad bar, soups and several vegetarian-friendly sandwich choices are all options at the cafe.

The cafe is currently incorporating an increasing amount of gluten-free food into its menu. Connors said as of Tuesday, white and raisin gluten-free bread will be available.

“We’ll have white for sandwiches and raisin for breakfast,” Conners said. “We’re looking to incorporate gluten-free pastries next.”

Rebecca’s is open for breakfast and lunch from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. For breakfast, students looking to use their meal plan can choose options like pancakes and breakfast parfaits. For lunch, a variety of sandwiches, soups and grilled food is available.

Those who choose not to use their meal plan have more choices and can choose from a variety of daily specials, sandwiches and pastries. Sandwiches are $6.25 while hot entrées like fish and chips or chicken tenders range from $4 to $7.

Connors said feedback of students has allowed the menu to expand.

“We’ve been working with student feedback in order to give students more [menu] options,” said Connors.

Jack Kelly, a freshman biology major, said the convenience of being able to use a meal swipe is a good reason to choose Rebecca’s.

“I like that it’s on the meal plan, that’s the biggest draw for me,” Kelly said. “It is healthier than Outtakes and Curry Student Center, and it’s better food. It’s sort of restaurant quality.”

Alexandria Wenner, a sophomore psychology major, said she likes how she can get her food made and for a reasonable price.

“It’s good because you can get exactly what you want,” Wenner said. “I get breakfast sandwiches in the morning for $2.50.”