Column: Hoops are last hope

By: Jared Shafran, News Staff

The men’s basketball team is beginning a season without many expectations from spectators. Most Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) media don’t expect the Huskies to challenge for a first-round bye in the CAA Tournament.

Without standouts like guard/forward Matt Janning, forward Manny Adako, and center Nkem Ojoubough, who have departed for bigger and better things since graduation, the team has a new identity and the pressure to win isn’t as high.

Even though most CAA observers are sleeping on the Huskies this year, Northeastern’s fan base is hungrier than ever. Fans on campus have had almost nothing to cheer about so far this season, and basketball seems to be all that’s left.

Think about how this season has been for Husky fans so far. The only fall teams to reach the playoffs were field hockey, which dropped its first round game to Old Dominion (who ended up reaching the NCAA quarterfinals), and volleyball, who will take on James Madison, a team it has already lost to twice this season, in the CAA semifinals this weekend.

No offense to these two teams, but I don’t see many students around campus who are eager to discuss the latest field hockey or volleyball results.

Everyone knows the teams at this school that draw crowds of any kind are hockey and basketball, and so far the season for men’s hockey has been depressing, to say the least. Currently on a five-game losing streak that includes falling to Holy Cross, Bentley and Niagara, the hockey team is in a state of disarray. Long gone are the days when forwards Joe Vitale and Ryan Ginand and goalie Brad Thiessen were there to lead this team to victory.
The new guys need to step up and take accountability for their actions. But until they do, all the fans have is basketball.

For the first time since I got here, men’s basketball legitimately has a chance to become the premier team at Northeastern. All they have to do is win.

So far, they’ve gotten off to a great start, with thrilling victories over both Boston University and Southern Illinois. A win in overtime on ESPN can do a lot for the program and now fans can come see the team take on Siena at Matthews this Saturday afternoon for homecoming.

Most importantly, the start of a new season comes with the opportunity for this team to breathe some life into an athletics program that has not had such a great year. Since football was cut about a year ago, some of the only bright spots have been basketball-related, as the team won 20 games last year. But even Janning and the boys couldn’t bring glory to NU, losing to William & Mary in the CAA semifinals 47-45 and then blowing the chance to upset UConn in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) a few weeks later.

So it seems like this year fans might have no other choice but to turn to a group of unfamiliar faces in sophomore guards Alwayne Bigby and Joel Smith, and sophomore forward Kauri Black, who will try and support senior guard Chassion Allen on his last chance for glory as a senior.

Coach Bill Coen has had success recruiting before and freshman guard Alex Harris could turn out to be his latest big addition. Harris has played well in the first two games. He’s even shown some highlight reel potential as his latest dunk was replayed on ESPN a few times.

If these guys play well at home and stay competitive in the conference down the road, Matthews Arena may become one of the toughest places to play in the CAA, instead of the Hockey East, like it has been in previous season.