Letter: Students should appreciate Matthews Arena

Almost every day I walk down Gainsborough Street, crossing St. Botolph Street before finally making my way to Huntington Avenue. Almost everyday I walk past Matthews Arena. But not everyday do I really take the time to appreciate the historic facility. Matthews Arena, formerly known as Boston Arena, is the original home of the Boston Celtics.

The arena hosted historic fighters like Sugar Ray Robinson in its ring. In terms of hockey, it’s the original home of the first NHL franchise, the Boston Bruins, and all major Boston area colleges once called it home ice (yes, that includes BU). Northeastern University purchased the building in 1977 to preserve its legacy.

Matthews Arena is the first-ever indoor hockey arena. Originally, it had glass panels in the ceiling to let light in during a time when electricity was in its infancy. Matthews Arena has seen a few face lifts, including the 2009 renovation that cost approximately $12 million and moved the press box from the balcony to a few rows back from the ice and upgraded the seats, weight rooms and varsity club. But it still holds that old-time charm that aided rowdy fans in cheering on the black and gold.

The balcony, now known as the DogHouse, was added in 1926 when the Bruins were so popular they needed extra seating for their seventh man. It hangs over the ice, allowing fans to feel as much a part of the game as the players. Bruins greats such as defenseman Eddie Shore, who joined the team in 1926, once skated across the surface. Also in the 1920s, Hal Winkler once stopped pucks in the same place Husky goaltender Chris Rawlings now does.

Thousands of hockey players, from those who play pee-wee pick-up games in between periods to NHL hall-of-famers, have skated in Matthews. It’s important to take a second every once in a while to remember the greatness that has gone down inside Matthews and acknowledge it.

Every player who gets the chance to skate where Shore once did should appreciate just what that means. And every fan who gets to cheer where the original American hockey fans did should understand what that means. So next time you find yourself inside Matthews Arena, take a moment in between cheers, or boos as the case may be, to remember all the greatness that the building exudes.

— Hannah Becker is a freshman journalism major.