Winter blues? Stay inside.

By Maureen Quinlan, News Correspondent

When the thermometer hits -2 degrees with a wind chill of -20 degrees, when the snow blows into Boston day after day, or when the rain turns the snow to gigantic puddles, most people want to hide inside. And who can blame them? But staying indoors can only offer so many things to do. Here are some ideas to stay warm, have fun and beat those winter blues without heading outside.

Play Twister… in the elevator.

Twister is the ultimate social game that brings people closer together, literally. Try a new form of the game by putting the mat in the elevator. The new venue will give Twister a new competitive edge and keep everyone warm. At every stop, invite people to play. This will help players meet new people in the comfort of the indoors.

Have a dance/karaoke party to “Northeastern State of Mind.”

The viral video released in November can make the perfect opening to a dance and karaoke party. See how many people can remember the lyrics without help. Make up a dance to go along with the song to become the next YouTube hit, or rewrite the Top 40 hits to Northeastern lyrics.

Have a movie marathon.
Whether the movies are every Harry Potter film, Judd Apatow comedies, classic chick flicks, the original “Star Wars” or new releases, they can keep people entertained and indoors. Mix it up by watching new movies, or keep it simple by watching old favorites. Watch “Superbad” after “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.” Go back to the 1990s by watching “The Lion King” or “Titanic.” Choose a theme and go crazy with a mini film fest.

Make your own hot chocolate bar.
Take inspiration from the dining halls’ hot chocolate bars and create your own. A mug, hot chocolate powder and milk or water provide the basis for a culinary delight. Instead of just marshmallows or whipped cream, try cinnamon, peppermint, orange peels, caramel or chocolate chips to spice up the usual cup of cocoa. The hot drink  paired with any of the other activities can make the time spent inside extra sweet.

Play Hedbanz.
On Post-Its, write the names of famous people, friends of friends or anyone everyone playing might know. Then, without looking, put one of the Post-Its on your forehead. Ask your fellow players questions about who you might be. For example you might ask, “Am I a female?” “Do I work in movies or music?” “Did I have a top selling hit this summer?” “Am I Katy Perry?” The player who can guess who they are in the least amount of questions wins the game. The questions people ask will bring out the humor in the situation.