Letter: Everyone must help to keep water clean

Sewage pollution in Massachusetts rivers must stop. The Charles and surrounding rivers have provided many citizens with clean water and a place to boat, swim and fish. It’s important that future generations can enjoy the same resources that play such a large role in our lives.

Raw sewage and pollution runoff into our rivers is preventing Massachusetts from reaching its environmental best. Drinking water for more than 117 million Americans is currently at risk because the streams that supply it may no longer be protected by the Clean Water Act. However, the Environmental Protection Agency recently submitted the Clean Water Act for internal review. It’s extremely important that we have enough public support to convince them to make the right choice.

Since a lot of the drains in Boston lead to the Charles, it’s important to take the initial step and throw trash into a waste container. The rivers in Massachusetts need to be cleaned up and stay that way. It’s reasonable to conclude that the residents of Massachusetts want to continue to enjoy endless amounts of recreational activities and clean water.

Some people don’t know what they are missing until it’s gone, and we don’t want to lose any of the benefits and joys of our rivers. Each person has a voice and it is our duty to use it in a way that sets an example for others. To participate in Environment Massachusetts e-mail campaign, visit http://bit.ly/i7h5v7 .

– Lee Conover Hudson is a freshman graphic design major.