Benefits and perils of over-snacking Feb 14

When it comes to chocolate, there are simple ways to control intake

By: Amanda Stonely, News Correspondent

News Photo: Aida Velazquez-Santiago

The gift of chocolate on Valentine’s Day may say “I love you,” but the nutrition facts on the back of the box say a lot more.

With gobs of chocolate in every drug store and retail location, the temptation gets harder to resist around Valentine’s Day, middler physical therapy major Jillian Lampl said.

“I tend to be an impulse shopper, so seeing it on the shelves, I just can’t resist,” Lampl said.

Although chocolate is not widely considered a nutritious food, it has a few healthy attributes when eaten in moderation. Flavonoid, a chemical found in dark chocolate, has been shown to be good for heart health, said Nicole Cormier, a registered dietitian and owner of the Middleboro-based nutrition counseling company Delicious Living Nutrition. Flavonoid is also found in another V-Day favorite, red wine.

Cormier said when choosing the right chocolate, it is important to remember the benefits of one kind over another.

“Dark chocolate is also less processed than other chocolates, like milk chocolate,” she said.

In addition to being heart healthy, chocolate releases endorphins into the brain, said psychology professor Dawn Cisewski. Endorphins are associated with a sense of well-being, supporting the claim that chocolate is a comfort food.

“[Chocolate] is nurturing. I think early on as child we develop ideas of what is nurturing to us in food,” Cisewski said. “I would venture a lot might have to do with peoples symbolism of it. It is supposed to be attached to love and romance.”

Chocolate is a feel good food for many people, including Lampl.

“I definitely think I eat different foods that correspond to my emotions, so I know a treat like chocolate will always make me feel better,” Lampl said.

Cisewki said the symbolism of chocolate changes around different holidays.

“I think it has been tied to different emotions and during Valentine’s Day that emotion it’s attributed to is love, because that is the stimulus cue around us,” Cisewski said.

Planning ahead and being mindful are the two most important tips when eating chocolate this Valentine’s season, Cormier said.

“I think it’s really important not to deprive yourself. Choose a time when you are going to treat yourself,” Cormier said. “A big emphasis is the word ‘treat’ instead of ‘cheat’. That makes it into a positive experience. If someone says they are cheating that makes it into a downward spiral. It is harder to get back on track if someone is thinking of it as a negative behavior.”

She also said there are ways to be healthy and still enjoy chocolate this Valentine’s Day.

“I would buy good-quality, individually wrapped chocolates,” Cormier said. “Choose the chocolate that has the least amount of ingredients.”

Junior marketing major Jeffrey Mysel said he is planning on buying his girlfriend chocolate this Valentine’s Day because he knows she loves it. However, Mysel said it has to be just the right box of chocolates.

“It wouldn’t just be any package of chocolate, it would be the one she loves so it’s meaningful,” Mysel said.

Sophomore nursing major Melissa Kaeli said she doesn’t think commercial Valentine’s Day chocolate is a good way to express to someone how much you care about them.

“I would prefer something more creative, just something that shows more thought,” Kaeli said.

Whether it’s from a valentine or just an impulse buy at the drug store, Cormier said there are ways to make eating chocolate a healthy choice rather than an overdose.

“Just try to savor the flavors that you are tasting when you are having your chocolate,” Cormier said. “Eat it slowly and make sure you are enjoying your treat.”

Easy Oreo Truffle Recipe

Ingredients

1 package Oreo cookies, divided

1 package cream cheese, softened

2 (8 ounce) packages Semi-Sweet

Baking Chocolate, melted

Directions

1. Crush the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor. or in a resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin. Add cream cheese and crushed cookies into a bowl and mix until blended. Roll cookie mixture into balls about 1-inch in diameter.

2. Dip balls in melted chocolate; place on wax paper-covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with any extra cookie crumbs.

3. Refrigerate until firm, about one hour.

Source: Allrecipes.com