Boston Counter Cultural Compass: Homemade newsletter spreads the word on alternative events

Illustration courtesy/Sam Potrykus

By Alexa DiBenedetto, News Correspondent

In a city home to countless venues, it’s easy to find out about the popular concerts, but many of the lesser-known bands and events slip under the radar. UMass-Boston student, Sam Potrykus thought he’d create a way for people to learn about the awesome shows that don’t get publicized by the mainstream media. He makes it his goal to find out about these events and get the word out with his homemade music newsletter and website – Counter Cultural Compass.

Huntington News:
What is the Counter Cultural Compass?
Sam Potrykus: Overall it’s a monthly newsletter about underground shows and cool events going on in Boston.

HN: When did you get started, and how?
SP: It was in March of last year. … We’ve done 13 issues so far. We started because I felt like there was, I don’t know, a gap in the Boston music scene. … I was originally inspired by this [San Francisco publication] called the Mojo Navigator, and that’s actually from the late ‘60s. … It was a way for people to find out about local shows. That pretty much inspired me, and it snowballed from there.

HN: What kind of music does the newsletter usually feature?
SP: Anything from folk music and kind of quiet, living room stuff to heavy psychedelic rock shows. For the most part, it’s music that has some sort of weird edge, away from the mainstream. The bands I write about and the shows I write about are kind of bands that are trying to do something different.

HN: This is a really fun job to have. Do you have a favorite experience?
SP: There was a show we put on in October called Homegrown – it was actually the second installment, Homegrown II – and that pretty much featured loosely psychedelic bands, stuff from heavy, drone-y, psych-rock, to lighter, spacey folk songs and whatnot. But we did that, it was a three day festival … over 60 bands played. That was a big experience for me because it was a festival where all of the bands I post week-to-week played together. …That was the most fun I’ve ever had.

HN: What makes an underground show better than one at a mainstream venue? What are the pros and cons of having something so small?
SP: Well, definitely one of the pros is that there’s no age restriction. And it’s a more personal experience, seeing art and music performed by your peers. You’re going to shows and seeing people your own age put on a killer rock show … and you can get in, because it’s all ages. I mean the cons of it are that those venues are not easy to find or maintain. The laws in Boston are pretty restrictive. … It’s just really hard to find fun things to do, and that’s what we’re trying to let people know about.

HN: Can anyone get involved with your newsletter?
SP: Absolutely. We definitely always need help with distribution … and that’s something I think is really fun about the Compass. Sometimes I’ll just bring it around Harvard Square and just hand it to any kid who’s wearing big headphones. But yeah, it’s pretty much all run by me, and it’s a lot of work, so people could definitely be a part of the team. Also with web stuff … we’re less “tech savvy,” so any person who could volunteer time to help update the website or the calendar is definitely appreciated.

HN: Where can people find print copies?
SP: I could list a few places … in Jamaica Plain they’re always at City Feed, and at 40 South Street, a vintage clothing store. Boomerangs, which is a thrift store on Centre Street, and down in Hyde Square, Video Underground and Phat Rams, a tattoo place. And in Allston at Buffalo Exchange and Bagel Rising, an awesome bagel shop.

HN: What’s the most rewarding thing about working with this newsletter?
SP: I would say the most rewarding thing is seeing young people have fun. It hasn’t been made easy for kids to find out what’s going on. I don’t think they’ve been encouraged enough to go out and meet people. That’s what we really promote – we want kids to go out and introduce themselves to each other and go to shows and have fun.