Player of the Week: Chris Rawlings

By: Katie Zigelman, News Staff

Sophomore Chris Rawlings made 80 saves in the two Beanpot Tournament games, bringing his overall save percentage to .930. He is the fourth Husky in six years to receive the Eberly award, which is given to the goalie with the highest save percentage in the Beanpot.

In the past three games, Rawlings made a total of 117 saves. His performance on the ice has earned him Huntington News Player of the Week honors.

Rawlings said winning the Eberly award was an honor.

“It’s nice to see my efforts appreciated,” Rawlings said. “I thought it was strange to get it after I let seven goals in, but it was still nice to win.”

At 6 feet, 5 inches and 220 pounds, Rawlings uses his size to his advantage while in the net.

“I use it by standing up tall and not crouching,” he said. “I can take up a lot of the net and just let the puck hit me.”

As a second year player at Northeastern, Rawlings said he is much more comfortable on the ice.

“A lot of people compare this season to last as night and day and I agree,” Rawlings said. “I am a different goalie compared to last year. It’s the experience that has made me the goalie I am this year.”

With his goalie coach, John Carratu, Rawlings has mostly been working on his rebounds this season, as well as trying to improve his speed.

“Ever since winter break, the team has been playing really well and the records are showing it,” Rawlings said. “We are starting to do all of the little things right. We haven’t changed anything, we’re just working that much harder.”

Since the break, the Huskies are 7-3-2.

The North Delta, British Columbia native has been playing hockey since he was 4 years old. He originally became interested in the sport through watching TV with his dad and watching his friends play.

“It looked interesting to me, so my dad signed me up and I started playing the first couple of years as a forward,” Rawlings said. “Then I got my turn to play goalie and really liked it and it just stuck with me.”

When he is not on the ice, the criminal justice major and business minor said he enjoys playing golf, working out, spending time with his girlfriend and playing Xbox with his roommates.

“I’m doing a little bit of everything,” he said.

After college, Rawlings said he would love to play professional hockey, but if that doesn’t work out, he wants to follow in his father’s footsteps and work as a manager in the golf industry.

“That’s why I’m getting the business minor,” Rawlings said. “The criminal justice stuff is just interesting to me.”