Women’s Hockey: Huskies, Terriers skate to OT tie

News Staff Photo/Eric Schreiber

By: Amanda Devaney, News Correspondent

Going into the third period of Tuesday’s Beanpot Consolation contest, the women’s hockey team experienced a severely painful case of deja vu. For the third time in five days, the Huskies were playing catch-up with No. 4 Boston University Terriers, who were again running away with the game in their hands.

Facing a 3-0 deficit after BU forward Holly Lorms padded the lead just 39 seconds into the final stanza, Northeastern scored three unanswered goals to send the game into overtime. After losing Friday 4-3 and Saturday 5-1, the Huskies skated to a 3-3 overtime with their cross-town rivals at Boston College.

“I was very pleased with our team’s effort,” head coach Dave Flint said. “I think it’s always tough to go into a consolation game and get your team fired up, especially when you play the same team three times in five days and you’ve lost the last two.”

The Huskies outshot BU 13-7 in the third period, and freshman defenseman Sonia St. Martin broke the scoreless streak when she notched her first collegiate goal 10 minutes into the third period.

“I’m a lefty, but [junior defender] Steph Gavronsky told me to switch and take the one- timer,” St. Martin said. “[Sophomore forward] Rachel Llanes won the faceoff and put it back to me, and I just went for a one-timer and it went by the pole.”

Before BU could recover, freshman forward Katie MacSorley scored a power play goal to cut the deficit to one.

“I feel like after the first goal, everyone just had a huge energy boost,” MacSorley said. “We just realized we could [come back] and we went harder.”

The Huskies’ energy was evident, and graduate student and forward Dani Rylan buried a shot to tie the game 54 seconds after MacSorely scored.

“There are always good ties and bad ties,” Flint said. “This was one of our better ones this year. BU is the [No. 3] team in the country, so anyway you look at it, it’s a good tie for us.”

In Saturday’s affair, BU merely outshot NU 31-28, but with seven minutes to play, the Terriers commanded a 5-0 lead.

The Huskies ended the shutout when MacSorley tallied her 13th goal of the season with  two minutes left in the game.

Similar results came about in Friday’s matchup, as the Terriers took the lead 5:05 into the first period when Lorm slid a wrist shot past senior Leah Sulyma. BU continued to pad the lead and scored another two goals before Northeastern got on the board 12:50 into the second period when sophomore forward Casey Pickett redirected a deflected puck into the cage.

Just seconds into the third frame, the Huskies’ sophomore forward Siena Falino notched  her fourth goal of the season, making the score 3-2. Three minutes later, Gavronsky scored on a drop pass from Llanes and tied the game 3-3.

But Northeastern’s hopes of a comeback were dashed when forward Lauren Cherewyk scored a short-handed goal to give Terriers a 4-3 lead and the win.

The Huskies resume action when they take on the University of Connecticut at Matthews Arena Friday at 4 p.m.