‘Under Class’ web series takes off at NU

Photo Courtesy/Andrew Zenn

By Alexandra Kaplan, News Correspondent and Katherine Landergan, News Staff

At a gathering for young socialites, a college-aged girl cradles a young man in her arms while a group of pretentious students taunt him for not owning land, or having health insurance.  As she later recounts this story to her friends in a student center, a table away, the guy is recounting the night to his friends … differently. He recalls getting hot and heavy on the dance floor with a multitude of sexy women. In his memory, the girl watches from afar, getting so turned on that she shows off her hottest dance moves to him. The two make out, while taking the occasional break to chow down on some bread.

This scene is just a taste of the shenanigans that take place in “Under Class,” a web series produced by students at Northeastern parodying college life and pop culture. The show has been up and running for more than a year, but last season only included two episodes. The first episode generated roughly 6,500 views.

“It’s really been passed on by word of mouth and we have some really loyal [fans] already, which is quite amazing,” said Andrew Zenn, the show’s producer.

The appeal in “Under Class” is the way people can relate to the topics being parodied, even if just from observations around them, Zenn said. Although much of the show’s plot lines are based on exaggerations, the issues raised in the funniest manner are widely understood among college kids.

“We’re making fun of a lot of things, including ourselves,” said Kelsey McLaughlin, a junior theatre major who writes and acts in the show. “People who haven’t met me prior to seeing the show are usually surprised it’s me.”

Zenn, a middler marketing major, said he funds the series with profits from his web design and video production company, Zenn Media Group. His customers range from non-profit organizations to brand companies, all across the east coast. In total, Zenn said he currently has a $1,000 budget. Although much of the show’s plot lines are based on exaggerations, the issues raised in the funniest manner are widely understood among college kids, Zenn said.

“The comedy can be broken down into two different things,“ Zenn said. “[It’s] a combination of smart comedy mixed with some very stupid comedy, giving a lot more people a chance to enjoy the first episode.”

In one episode, one character pretends to be a lesbian and buys a black baby (which is actually a doll) because she sees lesbianism and having a child as trendy. In these situations, “Under Class” pokes fun at sensationalized celebrity stories of adopting children from Africa or being gay. Zenn said the show’s writers were inspired Lindsay Lohan’s lesbian relationship drama, and thought it would be funny to parody in “Under Class.”

“It can be kind of controversial depending on how you look at it,” Zenn said. “But we did it out of our best intentions in a comedic way.”

The next episode is scheduled to come out right after Spring Break. From then on, the plan is to release an episode every one-and-a-half to two weeks. Zenn said he thinks the project has potential, but there is a lot of work to be done before the series goes viral. After 100 to 200 hours more work, he may look at sending it to College Humor and other comedy organizations.

“This could be something big,” he said. “I really do believe that.”