Calendar: Feb. 24 – March 2

By Emma Shuck, News Staff

Entry of the Week:

With spring right around the corner, it’s a perfect time to check out the region’s oldest and most respected boating marketplace in this area at the 2011 New England Boat Show from Feb. 26 to March 6. The event, held at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, offers an ideal escape from the cold winter air and will host a large selection of new boats, gear and gadgets, and exhibitors offering sales. There will be sport fishers, luxury cruisers, sailboats and jet skis on display and available for purchase. Although a lot of what’s featured at the event will be too expensive for the average college student, it’s always fun to look and start thinking about having some fun in the sun. 415 Summer St.; 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; $14; 800-225-1577.

Thursday, Feb. 24

The Northeastern Humanities Center is presenting “Life Isn’t Pretty: Representation and Exploitation:  Water,” directed by Deepa Mehta as part of an ongoing film series. “Water” tells the story of an Indian girl who married and became a widow at the age of eight. She is then sent away to a home where Hindu widows are forced to live in sorrow for their sins and faults. The plot is centered around the lives of the residents and how society’s prejudices ultimately affect them. 90 Snell Library; 2:50 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.; Free; 617-373-4140.

With such a diverse student body and limitless co-op opportunities, Northeastern students have the chance to gain exposure – whether temporary or permanent – in almost any other country outside of the US. For students who wish to pursue a career internationally, Career Services is hosting a job search success panel. Attendees will hear from NU international student alumni about what led to their success finding jobs after graduation and also from employers about what they want to see in international student candidates. 450 Dodge Hall; 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Free; 617-373-4255.

Friday, Feb. 25

Elements of fashion, themes of spring and charity are all mixed into one for this event. Anthem Entertainment, a company based in Boston that hosts various events around New England, is putting on a charity fashion show titled, “A Leap into Spring Fashion.” The show will benefit the local organization March of Dimes and proceeds for the organization will come from ticket sales, raffles and silent auction items. A cocktail reception, which includes complimentary appetizers, will start at 7 p.m. and the fashion madness will follow at 8 p.m. 189 State St.; 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.; $20; 617-573-9333.

Saturday, Feb. 26

Spring break just started for Northeastern and for some people, that doesn’t necessarily mean embarking for some tropical getaway. As a distraction from the cold weather, spend the entire day at the AMC 2011 Best Picture Showcase 24-hour Marathon. The ten movies that were nominated for Best Picture, including “Inception,” “Black Swan,” “The Fighter” and “True Grit” among others, will be shown at the AMC Loews Theatre. All guests purchasing the 24-hour marathon pass will receive a $20 gift card. 175 Tremont St.; 10 a.m.; $50; 617-423-5801.

Sunday, Feb. 27

Sometimes, enough is enough – especially when Grandma is consistently sending strange gifts in the mail or the sibling hand-me-downs are getting excessive. At the Emerson College Alternative Spring Break Fundraiser Swap Extravaganza, all that extra unwanted merchandise can be exchanged for something new. All bought or received gifts that have barely (or never) been used are welcome. Entrance to the swap is $10 with a bag of items or $15 without. The pre-swap lounge, where attendees can mingle and enjoy free snacks, opens at noon and the actual swap begins at 2:30 p.m. 216 Tremont St.; 2:30 p.m.; $10 or $15; 617-824-8500.

Monday, Feb. 28

The New England Conservatory (NEC) is hosting the performance of Leonard Bernstein’s comic operetta, Candide, at Jordan Hall. The biting satire follows the adventures of the main character as he travels through Europe and to Eldorado during the Spanish Inquisition. Conductor Stephen Lord, who has been named by the Opera News as one of the “25 Most Powerful Names in US Opera,” will take the stage for the first time at NEC. 30 Gainsborough St.; 8 p.m.; $16 with student ID; 617-585-1100.

Tuesday, Feb. 1

Put all those random tidbits of knowledge to the test – and possibly win some money while doing so. Boston’s Sweetwater Tavern is hosting a trivia night, where the winner goes home with $100 and the runner up receives a free round of drinks. Food will be half-price for all participants. 3 Boylston Place; 9 p.m.; Free; 617-351-2515.

Wednesday, Feb. 2

As mid-semester approaches, with it comes loads of extra work and stress over studying for mid-terms. A great way to relieve that stress and focus on something besides school would be to attend a well-being meditation. The class explores various aspects of meditation through sitting, walking, relaxing, sound and more. The meditation is not based in any one faith tradition, so all are welcome. Cushions and chairs are provided and spots are available on a walk-in basis. The Sacred Space, 2nd floor Ell Hall; 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Free; 617-373-2728.

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.