Column: Students on co-op can enjoy spring break too

Tomorrow when my last class ends at 1:25, my spring break will begin. This year marks my first spring break in two years. To put it simply, I am elated.

When I decided to come to Northeastern, I figured I wouldn’t get many vacations. But, excluding the upcoming summer when I will be on a Dialogue of Civilizations trip and then on co-op in July, I have managed to enjoy at least two months of each summer break thus far. And since I changed my co-op rotation to the fall this year, I was able to enjoy winter break for an extra week in January.

But I never knew how much I coveted spring break until now.

If being enrolled in classes during this semester has any perk, it’s the privilege of having a break in the “spring,” and ending the semester at the end of April. Tomorrow I will travel to San Diego for the week to visit a friend who is on co-op in California. The thought of escaping New England’s below-zero wind chills, black ice, sweaters and snow boots – and seeing grass and palm trees instead of snow and bare oaks and maples – makes me wonder how I survived the past two years without a week-long February trip, especially since I only have two more spring breaks before I graduate. I might as well enjoy it while I can.

But, for all the workers out there, let’s face it:  There’s not really an up-side to being on co-op when it’s spring break week. I know, I’ve been there. Trust me. In my opinion, though, Northeastern’s Co-op Connections should be applauded for providing both campus and Boston-related activities for students stuck here while friends are relaxing at home or tanning on a beach at a tropical resort.

Co-op Connections, led by manager Sonya Cottam and program coordinator Julia Weisman, has been providing students with “Co-op Spring Break” since 2006. The events vary each year, with a few recurring activities, such as tickets to Boston sporting events.

“The goal is to provide the opportunity for students to connect back to campus,” Cottam said earlier this week. “This may be some students’ first time back on campus all semester.”

This year’s kickoff event is Saturday when the men’s basketball team takes on the University of North Carolina Wilmington in Matthews Arena at 1 p.m. Co-op Connections will provide events at the end of each quarter, and pizza and face-painting for students. Cuban cuisine will be served at Sunday’s Cultural Exploration while members from the Latino/a Student Cultural Center and NU CALLS teach students words and phrases in Spanish. For $5, students can work out next Monday at an hour-long Zumba dance class in Curry Student Center, or take a yoga class on Tuesday in the Sacred Space.

“We have a lot of wellness [activities],” Cottam said. “We always think, ‘What can we do to have students come back and relax from work, and try something new that is inexpensive?’ It’s all levels. Everyone can participate. If you like music and like to dance, it’s perfect.”

Students also have the chance to watch the Boston Celtics take on the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday for $35 at the TD Garden. Other events include a sushi-making class on Thursday, and on Friday, Bruins tickets, T-shirt and concession stand giveaways at the men’s ice hockey game against Boston University.

“If students have ideas, they can always contact us. We really try to provide students with events they want to take part in,” Cottam said.

With the help of Co-op Connections, I guess it’s not the worst thing to continue working next week. But the much-needed break certainly makes me appreciate being in classes, for seven days at least. Talk to me Monday, March 7, though, and I guarantee my answer will be different.

– Michele Richinick can be reached at [email protected].