Calendar: March 10 – 16

By Emma Shuck, News Staff

Entry of the Week:

Tastemakers Magazine is returning for their Spring Presents concert and March 11 will be their first ever indoor show. School of Seven Bells, a New York City pop trio that carries a sound described as “dreamy and ethereal,” will perform. They are currently touring alongside Interpol and have released two albums, the most recent being “Disconnect from Desire” in July of 2010. Freelance Whales, a multi-instrument indie rock band from Queens, NY will also perform as part of the show. The band is touring with Tokyo Police Club and played at last year’s South by Southwest music festival in Austin, TX. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and tickets can be purchased on myNEU. Blackman Auditorium; 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; NU+1; [email protected].

Thursday, March 10

Irish singer, Paralympics champion  athlete, and recording artist Ronan Tynan will put on a concert at Blackman Auditorium. The performance, titled “Irish Songs and Musings,” will consist of Irish classics and Tynan’s story of personal triumph through difficult life situations. The lecture, in addition to the concert, will focus on overcoming obstacles and making the most of opportunities. Ell Hall; 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; $10; 617-373-5153.

Friday, March 11

Although living here in Boston makes it difficult to experience the fun of Mardi Gras first hand, there are plenty of ways to feel like part of the celebration. Precinct Bar in Somerville is hosting a party in honor of all the craziness happening down South this week. Costumes are highly encouraged, but there’s no need to go too over- the-top because there will be plenty of free beads and masks to go around. This Mardi Gras-themed party will feature a festive menu and will host five bands from around the Boston area to keep the excitement alive. 70 Union Square, Somerville.; 7:30 p.m.; $10; 617-623-9211.

Saturday, March 12

It’s never too early to start celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. Come out for Boston’s third annual Irish Pub Challenge, sponsored by Tenon Tours, which has been ranked as one of the top 10 things to do in the Bean for St. Patrick’s Day by Boston.com. There will be as many as 20 pubs participating and no cover charges. All participants will receive free T-shirts, pub cups, shamrock beads and “paddy” hats. Register for a team online at Bostonpubcrawl-efbevent.eventbrite.com. Faneuil Hall; 11 a.m. to Midnight; $25; 866-998-3666.

Sunday, March 13

Northeastern’s International Student and Scholar Institute (ISSI) is hosting an event in honor of the Persian New Year, Norooz. Norooz is a traditional Iranian New Year celebration observed in countries like Afghanistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. Celebrate the traditions surrounding this holiday, which has been recognized for more than 3,000 years, through music, games, food and film among other Northeastern students. Fenway Center; 7 p.m.; Free; 617-373-2310.

Monday, March 14

Satisfy that early-morning sweet tooth with a slice of pie at the Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro restaurant as they honor one of the best-loved irrational numbers with “Pi with Pie.” This day is celebrated every year on March 14, as the numbers three, one, and four are the three most significant digits of pi in the decimal form. Slices of pie and coffee will be offered for only $3.14 in the name of this mathematical constant. 25 Charles St.; 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.; $3.14; 617-723-7575.

Tuesday, March 15

Put a twist on a normal Tuesday with a hands-on bookmaking workshop in Snell Library. The workshop will be led by artist Deborah Davidson, who will introduce students to a simple book that could be turned into something completely different. Participants have the choice to collage, draw, write, sew, add objects, etc. All bookmaking supplies will be provided and no prior experience is necessary. Lobby of Snell Library; 10 a.m. to noon; Free; 617-373-4960.

For a baseball fan, there’s no better seminar to attend than one solely focused on a discussion of the season’s rising baseball stars. As part of the “Meet the Author” series, editor of the Baseball Prospectus 2011 Steven Goldman will visit Northeastern to host a talk about the sport. Refreshments will be served. 90 Snell Library; Noon to 1:30 p.m.; Free; 617-373-2821.

Wednesday, March 16

Have an affinity for Italian culture? The Italian Language Program and Italian Culture Society are sponsoring a celebration titled, “Il Ballarino:  Italian Renaissance Music, Dance and Theatre.” The event will feature music, dance and costumes with a special appearance made by Arlecchino, a famous character of the Italian comedy Commedia dell’Arte. Cabral Center, John D. O’Bryant African-American Institute, West Village F; 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.; Free; 617-373-7107.

American fantasy writer and college lecturer Patrick Rothfuss will host a “Meet the Author” talk on his newest book, “Wise Man’s Fear.” Rothfuss is author of the New York Times best seller “The Name of the Wind.” Refreshments will be served and books will be available for purchase through the Northeastern Bookstore. 90 Snell Library; 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; Free; 617-373-2821.

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.