The ‘Boston Burger’ decided by Five Napkin chef

By Jessica Teich, News Correspondent

Chefs at Five Napkin Burger sifted through more than 300 recipes submitted by hopefuls who all aimed to earn recognition as the creator of The Boston Burger, an exclusive Boston special that will be featured on the upscale burger restaurant’s opening menu.

Massachusetts residents were invited to create and submit their own burger recipes for the new restaurant, which opened yesterday near the Prudential Center at 105 Huntington Ave. Contestants put forth their best, craziest and favorite concoctions, but it was Canton-based graphic designer Errick Nunnally’s “Beantown Burger” that earned him a spot on 5 Napkin Burger’s menu and a $1,000 gift certificate to the restaurant.

The winning burger starts with a base of maple syrup-infused beef, which is then topped with a couple of tablespoons of baked beans in addition to sliced tomatoes, smoked gouda and a spicy relish, all sandwiched between a toasted egg bun.

Nunnally, who works locally as a graphic designer, said he’s a true hamburger fanatic and he stumbled upon news of 5 Napkin Burger’s new location while flipping through a Delta Airlines travel magazine.

“I love to barbecue,” Nunnally said. “I’d been looking into [the contest] more and more, and what makes a good hamburger and different hamburger recipes.”

Nunnally said his idea started close to home as he contemplated Boston’s unique attributes, especially culinary ones. What first came to mind was specificity of the New England pallet.

“You find a lot of things here that are sweet, or piquant, or savory,” he said.

He kept this in mind as he forged ahead onto the next aspect of his recipe – local ingredients.

“I’m a big believer in eating locally and taking advantage of that, which lead me to maple syrup which you find up north, and Boston baked beans, which are very iconic,” he said. “I like grilled foods and a little smoked flavor in things, which is certainly appreciated around here as well, so that’s where we get the smoked gouda.”

Apparently, it’s not just locals who appreciate a blend of tastes native to their hometown. 5 Napkin Burger’s executive chef, Andy D’Amico, had the final say on the winning recipe and hand-selected Nunnally’s recipe.

Will Bretz, a freshman journalism major, said the Beantown Burger sounds like something he would enjoy.

“I would definitely eat that, that sounds awesome,” Bretz said. “I think the smoked gouda is going to be a good, unique addition to a burger.”

Alex Van Camp, a sophomore psychology major, said she would give Nunnally’s combination a try. She said she thought the addition of the baked beans was also a smart inclusion, as it epitomizes Boston.

“Beans are one of the most iconic parts of Boston, hence the school’s Beanpot, so I think that’s a really good choice.” Van Camp said.

Though Nunnally is proud of his Boston-inspired creation, he said his ideal burger would feature something much more spicy.

“I love the idea of rolling jalapeños and red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce, and experimenting with all kinds of hot, spicy things to kick the heat up and try out different flavors,” he said. “I’m open to just about anything, I like trying new stuff. I love that the hamburger is a great medium for doing so many different things.”

5 Napkin Burger opened on 105 Huntington Ave. yesterday and features burgers priced from $7.95 to $12.95. View their menu at 5napkinburger.com/locations-menus/boston-mass/.