Boston gets taste of Max Brenner chocolate

By Allie Ehrhart, News Staff

Photo Courtesy: Max Brenner

Chocolate is not something a college student may think of as a meal option in Boston, but a new Boylston Street restaurant may change that.

Max Brenner: Chocolate by the Bald Man, is a restaurant that founder Max Brenner himself calls an “experience.” Featuring menu items like “Chocolate Chunks Pizza,” the “Hang-Over Omelet” and “The Sticky Caramel Chocolate Concoction,” the experience is all about the chocolate and different ways to open up to it, just like the name of the restaurant itself. Brenner said he named his chain “Max Brenner: Chocolate by the Bald Man” to add a little humor and entice people to come into his doors.

Brenner began working with chocolate in Europe about 20 years ago and has since developed a restaurant chain with locations in Singapore, Israel, Australia, New York City, Philadelphia, Las Vegas and the new Boston location. Some students who have had the chance to visit one of the Max Brenner’s locations are anxiously awaiting the March 31 Boston opening.

“My friends and I went to the Max Brenner in New York City and I ordered the ‘Brenner Burger.’ It was divine,” sophomore graphic design major Sarah Park said. The “Brenner Burger” is, according to the menu, an angus beef burger with lettuce, tomato, cheddar, a vidialia onion ring and Max’s “secret” barbeque sauce. “A friend who lives in New York recommended it us. We had to check it out since I’m a self-proclaimed chocoholic.”

In an interview with The News, Brenner said it was easy to expand to Boston because it’s on the east coast, not far from the restaurant’s headquarters in New York. He also said Boston would be a perfect match for not only the experience, but the chocolate too.

“For me, Boston is a very European place and it could be a beautiful match for Max Brenner,” he said. “[Our] hot chocolate will be a perfect treat for the crazy cold and winter of New England.”

Paige Burns, a sophomore communications major, said she found herself craving the Southwestern caesar salad with chicken she ordered when she visited the Max Brenner location in New York over spring break.

Photo Courtesy: Max Brenner

“I really liked my experience in Max Brenner. It has a cute environment and the NYC one had good service,” Burns said. “The only downfall was how expensive the drinks and desserts were. I got a mocha at the end and it was tiny and cost me almost five bucks.”

Brenner said he hopes the restaurant’s location at 745 Boylston St. in Back Bay, will attract people of all ages.

“Everybody loves chocolate, you see that at Max Brenner,” he said. “It’s a beautiful mixture of everybody: Kids, grown-ups and students.”

When Brenner started his career by learning from chocolatiers in France and Germany, he did not expect to one day have an international brand.

“I really like the Max Brenner experience,” Park said. “The restaurant had its own memorable theme and was quite consistent with it – when we asked for the check, our waitress brought it over in a customized chocolate tin instead of the plain, black checkbook. You could say that the place was a mix between Willy Wonka, a coffee shop, a restaurant and the color brown.”

Brenner said he is hoping that the name and reputation of his brand will attract college students.

“I can just hope [students will come]. I think they’ll love it,” he said. “Young people are our most loving and loyal customers because of the style and the feel [of the restaurant].”