Letter: The News should identify author of staff editorial

I don’t think that the The Huntington News’ editorial should be anonymous, because whoever wrote it should be made available for further discussion on the topic. Keeping the editorial anonymous doesn’t hold anyone responsible for the feelings it stirs up. If the editorial was meant to express the “views of the news organization,” this should be clearly explained. It doesn’t make sense to me that members of the staff can be protected by anonymity while students at large are often identified as the authors of “letters to the editor.”

I know high school isn’t the same as college, but in high school I was news editor of our paper and I often wrote editorials. I made it clear that I was expressing my view of a topic and that I would be happy to discuss it and print any responses that were in conflict. I stood by my opinion. When The Huntington News publishes an anonymous editorial with such an extreme negative stance, there should be either a name attached for accountability or a counterpoint offered by another staff member with the opposite view. The students of Northeastern deserve balance in their news.

In my opinion, all last week’s editorial did was create trouble where none exists. As I explained in my tweets, Northeastern is a business and they would be stupid not to ask for donations from graduating seniors. They are attempting to capitalize on the students that enjoyed their time at Northeastern and want to show their appreciation through a very small monetary gift.

I graduated from Northeastern last year and I chose to participate in the senior gift drive. All graduating seniors who did so were invited to a reception where we were thanked for our donation and had the opportunity to talk with administrators about our feelings about Northeastern and our plans for the future. Members of Northeastern’s administration appreciated and acknowledged our contribution, fully understanding that many of us had financial debt and were going out of our way to donate. I did not feel like I was being taken for granted. There was a sense of pride when the check was presented to the administration in that we were showing our thanks for our education and the support NU gave us over the years.

This year, I was contacted by Northeastern and asked for another donation. I’ll admit, at first I was a little angry seeing that I had already donated. But when I thought about it I realized that I could afford a small donation and that I still had reasons to thank Northeastern. I am currently in a full-time position in my chosen field thanks in no small part to the co-op program. The university is partially responsible for the financial success I now have, so it seemed logical to give a small donation.

In the interest of full disclosure, I received a full academic scholarship at Northeastern. Thus I do not have the same feelings of contempt that many students do at the thought of being asked for more money when they already owe Northeastern an astronomical amount. However, this goes to prove my point that students are in a variety of financial situations and should be given the option to contribute. I can sympathize with students that are struggling with debt, but I think it goes too far for them to be angry and accuse Northeastern of being tasteless for asking for donations. Most universities do this. It would be odd for Northeastern not to tap into whatever resources it has available.

When I donated this year, I was given the option of where I wanted my donation to be applied at the university. I chose to have my contribution given to scholarships so in the future more students can have the opportunity that I had. I am personally comfortable with my decision to donate and I will probably donate a small amount again next year if I am in the same financial situation. I understand that I am lucky that I am financially stable, but I know I’m not the only one.

We’re arguing over $20 here, around what it would cost to take a date to the movies. I am envious of you if your biggest problem with the world is that someone wants a Jackson from you to help make your alma matter a better institution for the future.

– Nicole Frankel graduated in 2010 from the College of Arts and Sciences.