Summer style in a second

By Erica Thompson and Laura Finaldi, News Staff

Feminine and romantic pieces with a ’70s flair have been popping up on runways and in department stores around the world and will be taking the summer by a storm once they start showing up on the streets.

Asaad Fulton, secretary of Haute, Northeastern’s student-run fashion club, said he gets to see many of the latest trends as soon as they come out as an employee at H&M.

“What I’m seeing is a lot of long dresses with beautiful floral patterns,” he said. “Cropped tops and [looser-fitting] denim is also a must-have.”

Several spring/summer collections from designers such as Rebecca Taylor, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Diane von Furstenberg featured midi skirts, or calf-length skirts that give off a retro vibe, as a prominent item.

Soft, romantic floral prints have been making appearances on shirts and even on shorts of some designers, including New Look, a line which also has pieces in bright shades of blue, pink and green in silky materials.

The look is also coming to more affordable shops: H&M is being influenced by the same trends as high-end designers, with loose pink dresses, ’70s style platform heels, dresses and shirts with any and every print on them and loose, brightly-colored shorts gracing the stores.

Forever 21, another popular brand for students on a budget, is also featuring many long dresses with different kinds of patterns. The store also has several different styles of tops in its spring line, from loose-fitting, printed shirts to tigher, brightly-colored tanks.

Although the runways suggest that bright colors are the shades to wear this summer, Fulton said he thinks neutral tones will also become popular.

“Another trend for females this spring will be nude colors – different shades of tan and beige,” Fulton said. “For men, I see the same, a lot of nude and white as well as stripes. It’s a big thing for men this spring and this summer.”

Other students, like Brittany Russell, a middler marketing major, have jumped on the denim trend, but in a different form from the one Fulton sees at work.

“I bought a white denim jacket for spring and it’s been the best fashion investment I’ve made in a while,” Russell said. “It matches pretty much everything and looks great with dresses and my favorite Aldo cowgirl boots.”

Another way to spice up this year’s simple trends is with accessories. H&M and Forever 21 are featuring large, chunky jewelry pieces in various bright colors. Russell said she has been accessorizing a lot of her outfits with hats.

“I also got a straw-woven fedora from H&M and it tops off – no pun intended – [my] outfit great,” she said. “I’ve really been loving hats this season.”

But what seems to be the best part about 2011’s summer trends is the ability to pull them off without breaking the bank. Fulton suggested Forever 21 (343 Newbury St.) and H&M (350 Washingon St. and 100 Newbury St.) as reasonably priced options for both men and women.

“They have the most stylish things for very affordable prices,” he said. “I know men usually don’t go into Forever 21, but the new one on Newbury is epic.”

For those with a little extra cash in their pockets, Fulton recommends stopping by Urban Outfitters or LF for a sight of the latest trends.

“[Urban Outfitters and LF] are amazing at displaying the perfect ready-to-wear pieces,” he said.

For other style-savvy-on-a-college-budget stores, check out Filene’s Basement (497 Boylston St.) and Zara (212 Newbury St.), Second Time Around (176 and 219 Newbury St.) or LuLus.com.