Oh, the places we go: Italy

Photo Courtesy/Dani Wong

By Dani Wong, News Correspondent

As I gazed up at the scorching Italian sun, heat was the last thing on my mind. I was standing in breathtaking Venice, Italy, barely able to take in the overwhelming beauty of my surroundings.

From the captivating smell of freshly baked bread, to the chill of the breeze blowing from the coastline, the elements of Italy quickly became a part of me. I was immediately invited in, an honored guest at the doorstep of an unfamiliar culture.

As I walked through the narrow streets, it was as if I was on a film set, surrounded by a series of picturesque buildings and drop dead gorgeous actors. The tourism industry in Venice unites city bistros, humble bars and waterfront hotels alike. Each of these entities projects a relaxed vibe, luring curious visitors inside. But wander down any cobblestone street and be drawn into another world. Each pathway leads to a different string of buildings that feels more exciting than the last. The feeling stems from the rustic architecture and quaint shop windows.

I felt like I was in a picture book. But even paintings and photographs couldn’t capture the essence of Italy. Being there was unlike anywhere I had traveled before.

My month-long European vacation was getting better each day. My family spent about two of those four weeks traveling solely through Italy. After Venice, we moved on to Rome. Teeming with relaxed locals and eager tourists alike, the capital is one of most sought-after destinations in the world. With its captivating sites and gorgeous architecture, to say the city is bella would be an understatement. One could spend days searching the streets, discovering a new monument around every corner. I am convinced that seeing everything is an impossible feat. But the pursuit kept things exciting. I craved more culture, more Italy. Everywhere I stood, it felt like there was frozen history right beneath my feet.

In addition to the magnificent architecture, highlights of Italy include famous artwork, decadent food and the country’s enticing energy. Each city pulses with a different beat. Whether one falls in love with the pasta, the sights or the people, falling hard is inevitable.

In terms of food, the best slice of pizza I had was at a local bar in Naples. Mounds of gooey cheese slid right off the thin crust. Each piece was lovingly smothered in a rich, homemade tomato sauce.”Messy” is putting it mildly, but the soothing effect on my taste buds made it all worthwhile.

Although it’s hard to narrow down the best parts of my trip, visiting the Colosseum was fascinating. My lengthy guidebooks hadn’t prepared me for the shock that came with seeing it up close.

But the most refreshing part of Italy lies in the minor details. It’s in the clicking of coveted Prada heels, strutting down the stony walkways of Verona. It’s in the voices of Sicilian street vendors, coaxing naive tourists into buying handmade products. It’s in the laughter of school children, running through tiny rain puddles. But most of all, it’s in the realization that you’re in this new place, completely out of your element.

No doubt, I was bitten by the Italian bug last summer. And I don’t think I’ll ever be cured. But then again, why would I want to be?