Column: The dos and donts of summer festivals

Music festivals can be a daunting experience. The masses of people, bands and overall mayhem often leaves one’s head spinning. It takes the right balance of planning and spontaneity to successfully manage your way through the many facets of these chaotic events. In honor of the approaching season – and for all you festival hopefuls out there – I’m presenting a few of the lessons I’ve learned over the years for ensuring an enjoyable and hopefully disaster-free festival experience.

The biggest debate I have at music festivals is deciding which bands to see. I usually get really excited about a line-up, only to discover there’s some devastating scheduling conflict between the acts I’m most looking forward to.

It is inevitable that some performances will overlap, thus forcing you to make some painful decisions between bands. Coming up with a rough plan of who you want to see when will help, but just keep in mind that you won’t be able to see every artist.

That being said, make sure to allow yourself some leeway with your schedule. Things will change, so if you miss a band you were planning on seeing then don’t let it bum you out too much.

Also, you don’t have to stay glued to your friends. If you have conflicting interests, splitting up won’t kill you. It’s so easy to meet people at festivals; I’ve had some of my best times on my own. Just make sure your group has a designated meet-up spot if you separate. Cell phones are not a reliable means of communication when no one can use their charger for three days.

Whenever I go to festivals, I make sure to stay well-stocked with snacks. My friends make fun of me for carrying around my backpack of munchies, but they always thank me for it later.

Festival vendors can be expensive, and while I do love a good bowl of teriyaki noodles, chances are you will be in the grounds for long enough to warrant a couple meals. Things like PB&J sandwiches, apples, carrots and crackers really come in handy when you don’t feel like paying another $12 for a miniature personal pizza.

Also, make sure to drink enough water. Bring a reusable bottle and fill it up throughout the day. I’ve seen too many people collapse at festivals because of heat stroke or dehydration and believe me, it does not look fun. Do yourself and your friends a favor and stay hydrated (No, beer does not count).
Another helpful thing to keep on your person is toilet paper. The porta potties will run out, and it’s unpleasant if you’re not prepared for that.

If you’re going to a camping festival, try your hardest to secure a spot in the campgrounds. There’s no other way to immerse yourself completely and truly feel like you’re a part of something. The sense of community that forms in those fields of tents is one of my favorite parts of multi-day festivals.

Get to know your neighbors. Trade meals, lend toothpaste, borrow grills, share campfires. Everyone’s in this thing together, so be courteous towards your fellow campers. Don’t blast music at 4 a.m., but also don’t yell at someone for doing so at 11 p.m.

Make sure you stay aware of where your campsite is. While seemingly easy to find in broad daylight, your tent will look exactly like the other thousands around it at two in the morning. Find a landmark such as a recognizable RV.

It sounds so unglamorous – camping in such close quarters with everyone else, having porta potties instead of plumbing and having to wake up with the sun every morning – but none of that really matters, because everyone is grubby and sleep-deprived together. If you can’t handle being surrounded by crowds and not showering for a whole weekend, then festivals probably aren’t for you.

The moral of the story is: Embrace it. Be happy being dirty. See as many amazing bands as you can. I know it sounds lame, but don’t go overboard. Take care of yourself and those around you. Make new friends! And most importantly; dance your ass off.

– Annie Henderson can be reached at [email protected].