This summer, run for a free and easy way to stay fit

By Jessica Sipprelle, News Correspondent

With summer fast approaching, many people are still searching for the most effective way to attain their best, beach-ready body. Running is a free and easy way to do this, and with so many places to run and people to run with in the Boston area, it can be enjoyable too.

For some Northeastern students, running in a group offers not only physical benefits but also peace of mind, a way to relieve stress and to achieve mental clarity.

“I first got into running in 2006 as a way to get into shape and to get together with friends in the morning,” said Alba Bizhoti, a junior chemistry major. “We would go running and then just hang out. It was definitely a way to bond with my friends.”

Bizhoti said running with a group can provide the support and encouragement that is necessary to maintain attendance at challenging workouts.

“Even after the running group ended, I stuck with running because I wanted to stay in shape and because I wanted to stay focused on my final exams,” Bizhoti said. “Running in a group definitely helps you stay motivated to stick with it because you’re all together and you can work off of each other.”

Students looking for scenic places to run around campus have a wide variety of areas to choose from.

“My favorite areas to run are around the Boston Common or the field near Wentworth,” said Winni Li, a sophomore psychology major.

Students looking to venture farther away from campus can head over to Newton, home of the infamous Heartbreak Hill. Helen Dinan, a nine-time Boston Marathon runner, who finished this year’s race with a time of 3:04:59, said those hills help her prepare for races.

“I love to train on the Boston Marathon route, specifically the series of hills in Newton,” Dinan said. “It prepares me mentally and physically, and there is always a good amount of people out there with you doing the same thing,” she said.

Seasoned runners like Dinan agree that the benefits of running expand far beyond fitness. She said running is a release that makes her feel better all around

“I don’t have to force myself to run because running makes me happy and the benefits help with my self confidence,” Dinan said. “Running is my own stress reliever and mood enhancer and is a way for me to gather my thoughts.

Especially for runners such as Dinan, whose long runs range from 15-20 miles a day in preparation for the Boston Marathon, running groups are a necessity.

“Running with others really helps on those days where I am lacking in motivation,” she said. “If someone is waiting for you, chances are pretty good that you won’t ditch them or the workout. I also enjoy running with others because it can push me on a certain day, or force me to take it easy if I run with a slower group.”

For students, finding a group to run with may be difficult, but it can be worth it if getting into shape and exploring the city are priorities.

“I would love to find a partner to run with, but it’s too hard to coordinate schedules and everyone runs at a different pace, so I usually go by myself,” Li said.