Outdoor track: Pitts captures first victory

By Katie Zigelman, News Staff

Despite the cold weather, both the women’s and men’s track teams walked away from their last home meet of the season Saturday with six victories .

On the women’s side, freshman Ashlee Pitts experienced her first collegiate victory in the 100-meter dash, which she ran in 12.69. She said winning her first event in college was very exciting.

“I work hard and the coaches work me harder,” Pitts said. “It was a nice win, but I still have a lot to work on.”

Pitts also said constant weather changes have been an obstacle the team has had to hurdle all season.

“Moving around to places like North Carolina and Florida and then back here, going between the hot and cold is an adjustment,” Pitts said. “It’s hard for sprinters – it took a long time to warm up but once you get the adrenaline going it’s OK.”

Junior Sarah Trotman won the 200-meter dash with a time of 25.90 and freshman Chelsea Hudson won the 400-meter hurdles in 1:04.41.

Sophomore Jillena DeCarteret won the pole vault for the third time this outdoor season. She vaulted 11 feet, 6.25 inches for the win. Sophomore Lauren Bennett was a close second in the event, with a height of 10 feet, 2.5 inches.

Senior Heather Crocker threw the javelin 128 feet, 4 inches for the win while senior Althea Charles had the remaining two victories in the the shot put (42 feet, 10.25 inches) and the hammer throw (190 feet, 5 inches). Sophomore Rachel Taback finished second in the hammer throw with a distance of 149 feet, 10 inches. Taback also finished second in the discus throw with a throw of 125 feet, 4 inches.

Junior Laura Coyne and senior Seri Gordon both finished second in their respective running events. Coyne ran the 800-meter in 2:21.32 and Gordon ran the 1,500-meter in 4:39.14.

Freshman Sean Collins won the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.21 and said winning the race felt pretty good.

“I was upset with the time but happy that I won,” Collins said.

Freshman Brian Doyle ran the 1,500-meter run in 4:01.91 for the victory, while junior Brian Daly won the pole vault with a launch of 14 feet, 6 inches.

The Huskies came away from the high jump with the top two finishes. Junior Andrew Staples jumped 6 feet, 4 inches for the win and sophomore Tejorn Davis jumped an even 6 feet for second.

Freshman James Hall qualified for the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) championship meet, with a hammer throw of 184 feet, 11 inches. Freshman Max Milder and senior Alex Iannetta finished second and third in the same event with distances of 178 feet, 6 inches and 178 feet, 1 inch respectively.

Senior Patrick Jablonski earned the final two victories for the Huskies. He won the shot put (51 feet, 4.5 inches) and the discus (164 feet, 5 inches). Freshman Kevin Rosenberg also competed in the shot put, and his throw of 46 feet, 4.25 inches was good for second place.

Senior Brendan Bergson and sophomore Kaylin Miranda came in second and third in the long jump. Bergson jumped 21 feet, 0.5 inches for second and Miranda jumped 20 feet, 9.25 inches for third.

Junior Joe Siravo finished second in the 10,000-meter run with a time of 32:06.67 and junior Evan Whetsell also finished second in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:55.19.

This weekend three athletes, junior Nick Ryan, freshman Erica Jenkins and freshman Brian Doyle, will be heading to the Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, N.J.

The following weekend the team is splitting up between the Penn Relays at UPenn (April 28-30) and the Stonehill Invitational (April 29).

This will be the last weekend of meets before the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) championship meet May 6 and 7 at Virginia Commonwealth University. Hart said the team is using these last meets to tune up before the championships.

“I’m excited that we’re closer to the championship meet. It’s only two and a half weeks away and we have been preparing for six or seven months now,” Hart said.