Men’s track: Hall to run for Ireland

By Kristen McCleary, News correspondent

To compete on a national stage is a dream come true for any athlete. Just ask James Hall, a member of the track and field team. This dream will soon become a reality, when he travels to Tullamore, Ireland this summer to compete in the Irish Junior National Championships’ hammer throw event.

Hall, a six-foot, two-inch freshman from Fishkill, N.Y., is a dual citizen of both the United States and Ireland, which enables him to compete at the Irish national level.

His mother, Ann, was born in Waterford, Ireland, and his personal coach, Paddy McGrath, was an Olympic thrower for the Irish team. Both influenced his decision to go out for the national team.

“It feels great because you know you’re one of the best for that country,” Hall said. “I get to represent all of my family in Ireland that I love a lot, and who have supported me a lot in hammer.”

McGrath, who has played a crucial role in honing Hall’s skill set, has been a particularly strong influence and role model in Hall’s life.

“Paddy’s done everything for me,” Hall said. “When I started with him I was like 40th in the country. Then after one year working with him, I was top eight in the country and set so many state records. Even now, when he’s like three hours away from me, I send him videos and he’ll correct me, tell me what I’m doing wrong and help me get better.”

Looking forward to the summer and competing on a national level has not distracted Hall from his competition at the collegiate level.

In his first outdoor meet at the Husky Spring Open, Hall threw 179 feet, 8 inches to take first place. He also finished second at the Ramapo College Invitational in Mahwah, N.J. with a throw of 173 feet, 7 inches, and has qualified for the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) championship, which is directed by the Eastern Athletic Conference.

“James has had a good freshman year,” NU head coach Sherman Hart said. “He continues to adjust to the college hammer but is getting better with each competition.”

Hall looks forward to continuing his success throughout the season for himself and for the team.

“I love it here,” Hall said. “Two of my best friends from high school are already on the team, so they’re one of the reasons I came here, and one of my friends, Max [Milder] throws hammer with me. He was my rival in high school but we were always friends so me and him are both here competing on the team, and it’s just really fun. I love every single person on the team.”

Hall said that he and Milder are practicing a lot, helping each other get better.

Another friend and teammate at Northeastern is Hall’s roommate, sprinter Alex Shapiro, who has known him since they were six years old.

“He’s a ridiculously talented athlete,” Shapiro said. “Throwing hammer just came natural to him from the beginning. It’s silly how quickly he took to it and ran with it.”

As the spring season comes to a close at NU, Hall is preparing for Ireland. If he throws well enough at Junior Nationals this summer to place in the top three, he could continue on to the European Nationals in Estonia.

“Being on the Irish Junior Team will only help James’ performance as an NU athlete,” Hart said. “It will give him more experience and he will be able to compete against some of the best juniors in the world. I am thrilled that he would have the opportunity to compete internationally.”

For Hall, these competitions are hurdles he will simply have to face on the way to becoming an Olympian.
“I’m very excited to follow in the footsteps of my trainer, Paddy McGrath,” Hall said. “That’s my main goal in life. I’ve always wanted to be an Olympian. And hammer is one thing I can do it in.”