Best of NU: Best Bookstore

Sitting right in the middle of campus, it seems only natural that the Barnes and Noble in the Curry Student Center was voted the best bookstore on The News’ Best of NU poll. The campus bookstore caters to the everyday and not-so-everyday needs of Northeastern students.

There are of course the basics of any college bookstore: textbooks, stationary, and a wide selection of Northeastern-branded apparel and gifts. The bookstore also stocks a variety of other reads to interest students and visitors alike including fiction, cookbooks and children’s picture books.

In addition, the bookstore sells the necessities for campus living, like toasters and sink strainers, and unexpected novelty items (for those in need of a polka-dot pig plaque or a plastic circus-freak figurine, the bookstore has them).
“They have a great selection of NU apparel,” said Alyssa Introcaso, a criminal justice major. But, she also said that she does not like “the lack of sizes and overpricing.”

Megan VanCisin, a political science major, said she finds the bookstore’s employees helpful, though she added she did not like how expensive the books are.

Recently, the bookstore began stocking Alta Gracia apparel, a brand with a factory in the Dominican Republic that pays its workers a living wage to help them out of poverty. The bookstore stocks two sweatshirts and two T-shirts from the company.

– Ann Musheno, News Correspondent